PDA

View Full Version : Lost mouse and error code during Lubuntu installation

maurice33
August 9th, 2018, 04:13 PM
I am trying to install Lubuntu on my Dell laptop. I downloaded the Lubuntu 18.04 file and used Rufus, Universal USB Installer, Etcher and a couple others. It installed properly on my USB Sandisk drive each time. This isn't the problem. My problem is an error code I get after I select the USB drive in BIOS and hit enter to start the installer.

When the boot menu appears in BIOS, I select the USB drive and hit enter to start the installer. I have tried this several times and each time it takes me to a generic Lubuntu install menu with 4 options and I choose the install option or "try Lubuntu without installing." Each time it starts to load it then goes to a black screen informing me of a Firmware Bug. It reads like this:

[Firmware Bug] cpu 0, invalid threshhold interupt offset 1 for b.......(and so on)

Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000000e....(and so on)

MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list

psmouse seriol: elantech: elantech_send_cmd query 0x04 failed

(This isn't the complete list)

I have tried to change BIOS settings in setup to every imaginable configuration, including but not limited to enable/disable Firmware TPM, Secure Boot enable/disable and many other setting changes with no success. I even used Legacy in BIOS and it booted from a cold startup fine but I kept losing my mouse. Legacy gave me the best install format but I also got a "BUG" warning before going to the install options. If I lose my mouse during setup I could have serious problems. I realize using Legacy isn't ideal for this install but I was desperate.

I have tried everything possible to make this work. I also tried to install Mint with the same results. Whatever changes in BIOS you might suggest I have probably already tried. It appears if I can get rid of this error code [Firmware Bug] I could do the install with confidence. Thank you for your help :)

mörgæs
August 11th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

Have you tried the alternate ISO (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO)? The installer is text-based but the final system is the same as always.