PDA

View Full Version : How to install a .run file

fatsheep
August 20th, 2006, 01:25 AM
For those of you that have been using Ubuntu for a while, you probably already know this. I'm posting this for the newbies that download a game installer in .run format and have no idea what to do with it.

How to Install a .run File:

For this How To I am going to be using the dummy name "example.run". You should replace this with the name of the file you are trying to install.

1. Open a terminal. In Gnome the terminal is found in Applications>Accessories>Terminal.
2. Navigate to the directory of the .run file. For this example, I have mine on the desktop so I would type in "cd ~/Desktop" and press enter.
3. Type "chmod +x example.run" (press enter).
4. Now type "./example.run", press enter, and the installer will run.

professorTHC
November 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks! =D

WaySensei
January 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
What about uninstalling these? I have UFO: Alien Invasion installed on my box, but I want to remove it. Is it enough to delete the directory it's located in, or is there another, better method?

erfahren
January 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
this page is a good reference (although I don't think .run installers are there): How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu! (http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/)

those programs often put an uninstaller script in their main directory, in the directory do:
"sudo ./uninstaller_script_name" (whatever the name of it is) - or - "sudo /path_to_it/uninstaller_script_name" of course.

there is a great little application that comes in handy for stuff like that - called "nautilus-open-terminal" (available in Synaptic - or "sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal") - it puts a selection in the right-click context menu to open a directory in the terminal. (Xubuntu 7.10 has something like that included).

WaySensei
January 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM
There is an uninstall script in the /usr/local/games/ufoai directory that I wish to uninstall, but when I try to run the uninstaller script by typing:

./uninstall, there is an error that:
Could not find a usable uninstall program. Aborting. I think it must be a bug with the uninstall script for ufoai. I am thinking of simply trashing the directory in order to remove the program and clear the space, but would like other thoughts on the matter before I do.

tim15856
January 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
What about uninstalling these? I have UFO: Alien Invasion installed on my box, but I want to remove it. Is it enough to delete the directory it's located in, or is there another, better method?

Since I'm getting ready to install this game I wanted to know why you want to uninstall it. Don't like it? Did you play XCOM? How does it compare?

WaySensei
January 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM
The game itself is fine. When I installed from a .run file, however, the game would not start. I then installed it from a .deb package from getdeb.net, and it worked fine. However, now I have two installs on my computer and want to get rid of one of them.

tim15856
January 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I'm having troubles getting it to work too. I'm not on my Ubuntu system, so I don't have the error code in front of me, but it is missing something. I found one post that said to fix that problem, I need to create a link. But the link command he used didn't work. The file wasn't in the directory his command showed. This problem appears to show up in the 64 bit version. I'll try again later, if it continues to give me a hard time, I'll try the deb.

erfahren
January 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I'm having troubles getting it to work too. I'm not on my Ubuntu system, so I don't have the error code in front of me, but it is missing something. I found one post that said to fix that problem, I need to create a link. But the link command he used didn't work. The file wasn't in the directory his command showed. This problem appears to show up in the 64 bit version. I'll try again later, if it continues to give me a hard time, I'll try the deb.
search for the file you need like:

sudo find / -name name-of-file

then to make a symlink make it from the file to where it goes

it might be possible that you don't have the library package (or other dependency) installed that the file is a part of (you probably thought of that already I guess)

zeus thunder
January 29th, 2008, 03:41 PM
i have tried the samething to install .run file of america's army.
but i still get ">" after pressing enter after "./example.run":

Thanks in advance

eram
July 26th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Ok, so I followed your instructions to install a .run file. every thing went fine until after I did the last step: (sudo ./example.run) I got an error message: "Your appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing."

Can anyone help with this?
Thanks!

ice60
July 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Ok, so I followed your instructions to install a .run file. every thing went fine until after I did the last step: (sudo ./example.run) I got an error message: "Your appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing."

Can anyone help with this?
Thanks!
are you trying to install a graphics driver? you'd be better off finding a tutorial for it if you are. it's telling you to kill all the GUI stuff and just use a terminal.

eram
July 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Yes, I am installing a graphics card driver. They only provide a README for Suse installation. I don't mind killing the GUI, I have a lot of experience in terminal. But I have never yet encountered a .run file, so I don't know what to do.

PinkFloyd102489
July 26th, 2008, 09:08 PM
You can still sh a run file. I do this all the time with the Nvidia drivers.

sh whatever.run

eram
July 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
You can still sh a run file. I do this all the time with the Nvidia drivers.

sh whatever.run

No, it says I need to do it as root.
I do
sudo sh N*.run but it tells me to exit X.

ice60
July 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM
you run this -

ctrl-alt-F1
that will get rid of your desktop, so save anything first. then run this -

init 3
then -

gdm stop
then login, that bit might be earlier, it's says login, or something like that. then, if the nvidia driver is on your desktop cd to your desktop and run it like this -

cd ~/Desktop <enter>
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-xxxx.run
replace the xxxx with what the driver is called. at some point you might get an error about /tmp/.X0-lock, or something like that, you can remove it like this -

sudo rm /tmp/.X0-lock

you can reboot like this -

sudo reboot
OR incase that doesn't work for some reason

sudo shutdown -r now

i've never installed a graphics driver like that in ubuntu, that's just from old notes i made for installing the nvidia driver on linux. i don't think anyone installs the driver like that on ubuntu.

eram
August 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
you run this -

ctrl-alt-F1

init 3
then -

gdm stop
then login, that bit might be earlier, it's says login, or something like that. then, if the nvidia driver is on your desktop cd to your desktop and run it like this -

cd ~/Desktop <enter>
replace the xxxx with what the driver is called. at some point you might get an error about /tmp/.X0-lock, or something like that, you can remove it like this -

sudo rm /tmp/.X0-lock

sudo reboot

sudo shutdown -r now

i've never installed a graphics driver like that in ubuntu, that's just from old notes i made for installing the nvidia driver on linux. i don't think anyone installs the driver like that on ubuntu.

Thanks! It worked! I ended up uninstalling the driver again because it did not solve my graphics problem. But I was able to solve my problem a different way: It was a simple matter of editing the xorg.conf file.
Thanks again!8)

coolest30
August 3rd, 2008, 02:15 AM
as regards step 4 once i have press enter it comes up with permission denied can any one help?

thanks in advance.

Dfairlite
October 14th, 2008, 03:55 AM
works great!

flower199
January 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you, very useful!

kevincolorado
May 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM
This is what terminal says:
"================================================= =
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.28-11-generic; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.dSEiPN
kevin@kevin-desktop:~/Desktop$ "

What happened?

Brandaho
June 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM
This is what terminal says:
"================================================= =
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.28-11-generic; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.dSEiPN
kevin@kevin-desktop:~/Desktop$ "

What happened?

When I went to ATI's website, I chose Linux 86_64 because I have a 64 bit system. It works with Ubuntu 9 thats for sure. So it might be your version, or the incorrect file. Just a guess, but the first post helped me get it completely installed.

ironhorse99
June 17th, 2009, 06:28 AM
For those of you that have been using Ubuntu for a while, you probably already know this. I'm posting this for the newbies that download a game installer in .run format and have no idea what to do with it.

For this How To I am going to be using the dummy name "example.run". You should replace this with the name of the file you are trying to install.

1. Open a terminal. In Gnome the terminal is found in Applications>Accessories>Terminal.
2. Navigate to the directory of the .run file. For this example, I have mine on the desktop so I would type in "cd ~/Desktop" and press enter.

I have tried this everywhichway I can & it always says " No such file or directory"
I have it on my desktop. What am I doing wrong.

ironhorse99
June 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
you run this -

ctrl-alt-F1

init 3
then -

gdm stop

cd ~/Desktop <enter>

sudo rm /tmp/.X0-lock

sudo reboot

sudo shutdown -r now

I did everything line by line & it says "that it appears I'm runing X-server".
I've exited the GUI by ctrl-alt-F1. Now I type everything in.....still a no/go.
What does happen is the driver starts to uncompress & then I get that message.....whats going on??????

TattooCharlie
August 31st, 2009, 09:04 AM
that was easy. thanks alot for the how to man :)

F. B. I. Guy
November 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
when i tryed to run the gmd stop command i got this: ** (gdm-binary:2233): WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager: Connection ":1.70" is not allowed to own the service "org.gnome.DisplayManager" due to security policies in the configuration file

please help with this,
and thank you in advance

bhavana
December 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Thank You. This was very helpful.

doris orange
January 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
cheers from noobville!

AMadDog
January 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I know this doesn't have a lot to do with this thread but i want to run a .exe file of a cd how do I do that? I have tried just clicking on it but it goes to the archive manager and then says there is an error please help
cheers

E7uber
February 19th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Hi,

Noob here. I want to play America's Army. I downloaded a .run file except I have what I think are security issues on install. It says write access denied. I'm very new to Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance.):P

jamesrfla
February 19th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Try typing sudo before the command you run. Then enter your password and that should work. Only use sudo when you have to.

Uberche
February 21st, 2010, 04:46 AM
I am trying to install A Tale In the Desert which is a .run file. I navigate to Downloads which is where it is and I type

chmod -x eClient-linux-i686.run

and hit enter and it does nothing, just back to the prompt

ethan@ubuntu:~Downloads$ chmod -x eClient-linux-i686.run
ethan@ubuntu:~Downloads$

is what I end up with... any thoughts of what stupidity I'm doing here?

Thanks as I'm new to Linux, liking it... just a bit of a learning curve.

Uberche
February 21st, 2010, 06:42 AM
1) Right Click - Properties - Permissions - Allow executing as a program

2) Double Click

3) Feel like idiot.

Thonyv
March 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM
you run this -

ctrl-alt-F1

init 3
then -

gdm stop

cd ~/Desktop <enter>

sudo rm /tmp/.X0-lock

sudo reboot

sudo shutdown -r now

I am attempting to use this method to install the new nvidia graphics driver and all goes well until I try to stop the GDM. I get an error message saying to cannot acquire name. I ran the gdm stop command with sudo but it still didn't work. I tried to install the driver anyway and it said the X server was stil running, so I assume that I have to stop it somehow. The instructions in nvidia's readme file aren't clear on how to stop the X server either.

Any help is greatly appreciated

**I dug a little deeper and found that I had to use

$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Driver is now installed and working great. Thanks all for the information

dakkar9999
May 8th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks! Worked perfectly!

groundwire123
February 10th, 2011, 02:49 AM

__________________________________________________ ____________

Thank you much. I have been pulling hair out of my head!!! by the way, my new 11.1 ati drivers and hd radion 5870 thank you to.

FreymanX
June 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Hello how do you run it as a Admin this is what i get

VirtualBox Version 4.0.8 r71778 (2011-05-16T16:58:14Z) installer
This program must be run with administrator privileges. Aborting

Slasher The Great!
June 22nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
thanks

geazzy
June 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM
nice tutorial :)

mujahied
July 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM
thanks very usefull

lukas_adler
July 13th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Thank you for this yet simple
but yet very helpful tutorial. lolthnx

Sebastian-Li
July 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks!!!

Darryl_Gittins
September 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
If this is for "newbs" then it should explain how to open a terminal, and how to navigate.

IT shouldn't be rocket science to install a driver in Ubuntu. You shouldn't need to type esoteric commands. In Windows, you double click thie driver to install it. This is why people prefer Windows.

derekhammer
November 21st, 2011, 12:56 AM
Hello, when I get to step four and type ./whatever.run , it says permission denied. what do i have to do? thanks Derek

john.williams43
February 6th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Perfect, thanks for this

CodeSunil
February 15th, 2013, 08:25 AM
thanx :)

Vegeto Tr7
June 30th, 2013, 06:02 PM
thanks a lot mate!

ayberkoktay
February 28th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks

umithaz
February 28th, 2014, 03:55 PM
This is summary of Linux :) install and uninstall, good examples. Thanks!

edde2
May 26th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks!
But if you get a error that says "Alredy Exists!" or some thing add " --force" at the end of the last command. ;)

edde2
May 26th, 2014, 11:04 AM
?

edde2
May 26th, 2014, 11:06 AM
:lolflag: