PDA

View Full Version : Playing SuperTuxKart

Autodave
August 5th, 2018, 10:09 PM
This may be a dumb question, but I have Googled this for several hours and cannot find an answer. Nor can I find a place to ask the question. So......what in the world is Story Mode and how do you play it?

deadflowr
August 6th, 2018, 05:02 AM
I would think story mode is self explanatory, but basically your tasked with saving the world or the universe or something. (Truth be told, I never care about whatever the motive is in any game I ever play)
To play you start in a wide open area and you need to find bubbles with floating numbers hanging around.
It's progress based, so the only numbers you can play are ones you have tokens for. (bubbles that you don't have access to cannot be breached (entered, accessed, what have you), if that makes sense)
When you enter the bubbles, a challenge notification will show telling you to press your fire key to start it.
As you win you gain more tokens, which then unlock more races and more bubbles.

There should be a tutorial bubble that explains all this in the very beginning of the game (the story mode game that is)
The tutorial bubble does not have a number, but it is a bubble.

mastablasta
August 6th, 2018, 08:19 AM
also as you progress the tracks and opponents get more difficult i believe. until there is the final "showdown" with "the boss".

Autodave
August 6th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, but I still don't get it. I go into a bubble and am presented (usually) with 3 options (levels). I can beat any of the levels. Do I need to play all of the levels? any one that I want? Do you ever complete the "bubble"? I don't seem to gte any points, the same bubbles are always there when I start again, just makes no sense.

coffeefiend
August 6th, 2018, 08:55 PM
Not much of a gamer myself, but I have been playing SuperTux 2 and find it to be fun. I might have to check out SuperTuxCart.

deadflowr
August 6th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, but I still don't get it. I go into a bubble and am presented (usually) with 3 options (levels). I can beat any of the levels. Do I need to play all of the levels? any one that I want? Do you ever complete the "bubble"? I don't seem to gte any points, the same bubbles are always there when I start again, just makes no sense.

take the challenges that require times to beat.
Then beat the required times as well as win.
And then it should unlock the challenge and give you the points.

Autodave
August 6th, 2018, 09:41 PM
take the challenges that require times to beat.
Then beat the required times as well as win.
And then it should unlock the challenge and give you the points.

I have done that and I see nothing in return. The same bubble is still there, the points(?) at the top remain the same. That is what I am trying to figure out what to do. Just not making any sense to me. I have played probably 50+ challenges, beaten all but 2 or 3 of them, and everything still looks the same as the first time I entered the game.

I don't normally look at a manual to figure out a game, but in this case I would LOVE to see some instructions. However, I cannot find them anywhere.

1fallen
August 6th, 2018, 09:44 PM
You got cheated>>>I'd ask for a refund! LOL:)
On Linux find "/home/USERNAME/.config/supertuxkart/challenges.xml" - although you might have to add version subfolders in the middle.
More here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml9uVGtzDhg