PDA

View Full Version : No unity-greeter on startup

dukedirt
August 5th, 2018, 12:45 PM
So recently I've been messing around with different desktops. (I'm on ubuntu 18.04)

I tried out xfce (xubuntu) and decided to switch to unity rather.

I now have Unity working as it should except for one thing: the start-up login page still uses the xfce style.
When I lock my pc, it still uses the unity style as it should.

I've tried purging all xubuntu related files, but no luck.

I'm pretty new to this sort of thing, so any help is appreciated.

1fallen
August 5th, 2018, 02:42 PM
First you will need to clean up and disable the old settings via:

sudo mv /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/60-lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/60-lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.disabled

Reinstall unity-greeter to remove any changes in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/com.canonical.unity-greeter.gschema.xml

sudo apt install --reinstall unity-greeter

NOTE:To enable it back>> "only if needed".(This will restore what it was like before)

sudo mv /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/60-lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.disabled /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/60-lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

Restarting the lightdm is needed

sudo systemctl restart lightdm
Check to see if there any other dconf overrides file that take priority

grep -rn -e "com.canonical.unity-greeter" -e "background=" -e "draw-user-backgrounds=" /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/

again?
August 6th, 2018, 04:04 AM
You can also switch to the unity greeter by creating your own overriding conf file.
Firstly make sure unity-greeter is installed...

sudo apt install unity-greeter

Create your custom config...

echo -e "[Seat:*]\nuser-session=unity\ngreeter-session=unity-greeter" | sudo tee /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/99-my-settings.conf
Creates this config. 280657
Reboot.

If you want to revert changes simply remove the custom config...

sudo rm /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/99-my-settings.conf