PDA

View Full Version : Removable/embedded batteries in laptops

bjngchn
August 4th, 2018, 09:01 AM
I bought an average quality laptop instead of a good laptop. Main reason: I don't want an embedded battery. I was told that in new computers batteries are distributed in various places instead of one place, and this makes things more efficient. Is this true? Will we no longer have a laptop with removable battery in the future? If the battery is not removable, how can we be sure that the energy inside it won't be used against our will, such as burning the house after excessive heating based on a remote command, or screening stuff around and sending the data wirelessly to some place. I had a good looking average quality laptop with embeedded battery , which I almost never used. It had linux in it. It was staying peacefully near some of my clothes. No excessive heat or humidity. I checked it recently, and it was not waking upwhen the power button is pressed, although there was a light showing that cthe omputer is not dead. If we are not controlling our electronics, then we are slaves of technology. I heard new cars can be controlled remotely. New cars also don't have hand brakes, if your car accelerates when you don't want this to happen t, there is no mechanical way to slow it down to reduce damage. Can our operating systems or browsers or sites we visit be mining bitcoin without our knowledge, using our computer? If so this explains why my computer is heating up recently.

mörgæs
August 5th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Yes, we are losing control over our hardware. Try to google around and see what Intel's so-called Management Engine is able to do. Long story short: It's a second operating system present which can be accessed remotely. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2382017

I wouldn't be afraid of arson, though.

coffeecat
August 5th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Not a technical support question. Thread moved from General Help to The Cafe.