PDA

View Full Version : What's with the coffee?

isolated-thinker
July 29th, 2018, 03:31 AM
Greetings!

Ever since I found the Ubuntu forums (when I first started using Ubuntu around 13'ish years ago) I noticed that coffee seems to be a theme.

I LOVE coffee.But I was just curious to know... what's with the coffee beans and cups for forum activity?

Personally, I love it, but I am just curious :P

Thanks!

deadflowr
July 29th, 2018, 04:01 AM
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560

hrsetrdr
July 29th, 2018, 04:29 AM
I've had the beans for a while, I want some cups! ;)

QIII
July 29th, 2018, 04:36 AM
I just poured my last cup from my cafetière (French Press as we call it here in the States).

oldos2er
July 29th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Had freshly ground Lintong Ratu Batak this morning, 'twas yummy.

QIII
July 29th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Mrs QIII and I lived dangerously a week ago and ground up some kopi luwak.

It didn't taste like what it was originally packed in after its initial phase of processing. It actually tasted lifeless, bland and stale.

So much for the most unique and expensive coffee in the world.

1fallen
July 29th, 2018, 07:15 PM
I have a special concentrated coffee made with various ground beans about 1lb that I let steep with hot water in a huge filter into a gallon glass jar.
Dilute to taste>>>Makes some mighty fine coffee for camping and such.

lisati
July 29th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Having read a little about kopi luwak, I am not keen on one particular stage of its processing. To me, Mrs Lisati's usual brand tastes like it is made from the packaging.

poorguy
July 29th, 2018, 08:55 PM
I'm easy when it comes to coffee plain hot and black no added fillers not real particular as long as it's real coffee.

I do try different coffee beans from the local market although I'm pretty happy with good old regular coffee.

I can't stand that newfangled foo foo frappuccino / crappuccino today's generation drinks.

coffeefiend
July 30th, 2018, 12:41 AM
I love coffee. Some might even say I am a coffee fiend. Ok, that was a bad joke. But anyway, it's hard to pin down my favorite coffee. I think the best coffee I have had was in Spain or Greece. Kind of a toss up really. No idea what brand either one was because both times was in a restaurant/cafe. Strange as it may seem, my usual go to at home is Maxwell House or Folger's. The coffee is decent, but more importantly, inexpensive. My least favorite is by far Starbucks. Their coffee always tastes burnt.

PJs Ronin
July 30th, 2018, 01:25 AM
I very much enjoy coffee but find that the local baristas seem to be in a contest to find the most powerful and bitter brew they can find, so I become melancholic and return to my cave for my own private solace. And that solace just happens to be the cheapest, nastiest instant coffee on the local market that I have consumed for many, many years.

The stuff is gross, but like an old friend it makes me feel good and it puts up with my idiosyncrasies. I am loyal.

CharlesA
July 30th, 2018, 01:29 AM
Coffee? Pffft, wonder if they could try tea.

QIII
July 30th, 2018, 01:33 AM
When I was in the Army, I insisted that the coffee was not strong enough unless the spoon would initially stand up in it and then sink slowly as it dissolved.

poorguy
July 30th, 2018, 02:55 AM
Here's a good mix.

https://www.proof66.com/images/hires/201109220423294e7b1ab1d2271.jpg https://sparklemarkets.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/screen-shot-2012-10-11-at-10-40-22-am1.png

hrsetrdr
July 30th, 2018, 04:26 AM
When I was in the Army, I insisted that the coffee was not strong enough unless the spoon would initially stand up in it and then sink slowly as it dissolved.

I have actually had coffee like that, after a long weekend of pulling CQ.

QIII
July 30th, 2018, 04:38 AM
How do you think us Field Grades stayed up seemingly forever?

@ poorguy: Baileys with just a splash of coffee.

Perfect Storm
July 30th, 2018, 09:35 AM
I'm more of an instant coffee guy. No hassle.

poorguy
July 30th, 2018, 12:42 PM
@ poorguy: Baileys with just a splash of coffee.

I'm right there with you. ;)

isolated-thinker
July 30th, 2018, 05:38 PM
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560

Thanks for the link! This answered my question!

isolated-thinker
July 30th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Sadly, I'm suppose to stay away from caffeine, doctor's orders.

However, I find it extremely difficult to give up this creative lighter fluid. *takes a sip of his cafe mocha he purchased at a small business coffee shop at lunch*

coffeefiend
July 30th, 2018, 06:30 PM
I recently discovered Maxwell House Boost Max. 1.75x the caffeine of regular coffee. Tastes like dirt, but it gets me going in the mornings.

mjonutz
August 23rd, 2018, 12:02 PM
I think the coffee is the main ingredient of every developer :D

theaccountant
August 23rd, 2018, 04:02 PM
Coffee is really special to me. It always makes my day. :D

Perfect Storm
August 31st, 2018, 01:09 PM
Are on my fourth cup. Never drink coffee in the evening.

theaccountant
September 7th, 2018, 03:56 AM
My day will always starts with a cup of coffee and always ends with it. I really love black coffee no sugar and creamer. So addicting!

RabbitWho
September 9th, 2018, 01:58 PM
They say it's random.. but I've always had beans? I have always loved the taste of coffee but only recently started drinking it a lot after learning
1. It's not actually bad for you (assuming you don't have a particular health condition or medication it interacts poorly with)
2. It is good for you if you are ADHD

I try not to drink it after 4, because it does keep me awake

ryleyrushh
October 9th, 2018, 09:44 AM
But everybody loves the coffee!

oldrocker99
October 26th, 2018, 01:04 AM
I love coffee. Some might even say I am a coffee fiend. Ok, that was a bad joke. But anyway, it's hard to pin down my favorite coffee. I think the best coffee I have had was in Spain or Greece. Kind of a toss up really. No idea what brand either one was because both times was in a restaurant/cafe. Strange as it may seem, my usual go to at home is Maxwell House or Folger's. The coffee is decent, but more importantly, inexpensive. My least favorite is by far Starbucks. Their coffee always tastes burnt.

Good grief, but Starbucks has lousy coffee, which is why they have to fill it up with all the crap that makes a cup of coffee into a milkshake.

Personally, I only drink coffee-flavored coffee. And see my signature.

If there is an Aldi store near you, they sell coffee for $4.99/500g. There is no better coffee at that price; $9.98 per kilo!

poorguy
October 26th, 2018, 02:07 PM
If there is an Aldi store near you, they sell coffee for $4.99/500g. There is no better coffee at that price; $9.98 per kilo!
Yep I agree and buy my coffee at Aldi or Winco no complaints.

Starbucks and newfangled coffee is for today's generation as they have no idea what a good cup of coffee from a peculator is.

HermanAB
October 26th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I take no prisoners. Turkish coffee for me.

Dragonbite
October 26th, 2018, 04:02 PM
I'm on my 3rd or 4th cup already (it's 11 AM).

I should really switch to decalf...

angisky
November 19th, 2018, 12:54 AM
I make myself some cuban coffee when I'm home and I've got a co-worker who makes it for everyone at my job. Usually a serving for the morning to keep everyone up until lunch time. Then again after lunch to keep everyone awake after having their filling meals. That's just how we survive in Miami.

holaburm
November 19th, 2018, 03:07 AM
Greetings!

Ever since I found the Ubuntu forums (when I first started using Ubuntu around 13'ish years ago) I noticed that coffee seems to be a theme.

I LOVE coffee.But I was just curious to know... what's with the coffee beans and cups for forum activity?

Personally, I love it, but I am just curious :P

Thanks!
I like café with milk specific. Really wonderful for reward it for each session.

RabbitWho
November 24th, 2018, 04:25 PM
try oat milk in coffee, it's wonderful.

anarchy-x
December 10th, 2018, 05:53 AM
I think this is one of the cooler features of the site. lol Gotta keep the wheels turning somehow!

Myself, I just made some tea. :)

poorguy
December 11th, 2018, 02:05 AM
Here's another choice I use for coffee or tea. :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41THNSunc2L._SY300_.jpg

QIII
December 11th, 2018, 04:24 AM
Fill your cup, add 1/2 ounce of coffee. Enjoy.

poorguy
December 11th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Fill your cup, add 1/2 ounce of coffee. Enjoy.

These days I have a mug of black coffee and a mug of Irish cream for that excellent start in the morning. Why not I'm retired. ;)

coffeefiend
December 12th, 2018, 07:16 PM
A buddy of mine gave me a bag of Death Wish coffee. Threw some into the espresso machine at home and made myself a Death Wish cappuccino. Whoa!

lisati
December 12th, 2018, 09:11 PM
My preferred brand of coffee is provided by a family business based in the Wellsford area in New Zealand. As far as I know, it's not available in shops where I live. I'd name names, but would have to spam ban myself.

SantaFe
December 13th, 2018, 01:40 PM
My preferred brand of coffee is provided by a family business based in the Wellsford area in New Zealand. As far as I know, it's not available in shops where I live. I'd name names, but would have to spam ban myself.Better than the "If I told you I'd have to kill you" option! ;)