PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 18.04, GNOME: tray icons mostly not working, other issues

starkruzr2
July 19th, 2018, 08:30 PM
So I have a GPD Pocket (shoutout to /r/GPDPocket (https://www.reddit.com/r/GPDPocket) but this is more specifically an Ubuntu question) which I originally installed Xubuntu 18.04 on. Eventually xfce irritated me, I installed ubuntu-budgie-desktop, found that wasn't quite what I was looking for, gave up and installed ubuntu-desktop. (This was all necessary because there are only a few respins of Ubuntu that work out of the box on this machine because of a number of stupid hardware quirks -- one of these appears to be that Wayland doesn't work right)
I've decided I like GNOME, but:

LightDM is still Xubuntu-themed (annoying, but I can live with it)

I can't figure out what "adding accounts" does anymore in GNOME because there doesn't seem to be a mail or calendar application (for example) that uses e.g. the Gmail accounts I add

Both in xfce and in Budgie, all of the tray notification icons -- specifically, the ones I'm thinking of are Bluetooth and the Nextcloud icon -- worked fine. In GNOME, the only ones that are present are WiFi, sound and battery (and the little drop-down arrow). Is there a way to bring these back?

TIA.