PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Erratic Desktop Behavior

paleophyte
July 18th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Hardware: Asus U46E Laptop with i7-2640M 2.8 GHz quad-core processor

OS: Lubuntu 16.04.4 (Kernel Linux 4.15.0-24-generic (x86_64) with LXDE)

Issue: None for months, then a few days ago desktop behaviour became strangely erratic:
- Minimize, Maximize, and Close buttons cease working. Right-Click ---> Close Window works.
- Clicking does not deselect last selection, just adds latest selection.
- Clicked links spawn new windows in both Firefox and Chrome.
- Keyboard sometimes locks case. If uppercase, number and punctuation keys yield their associated symbols ( "@" instead of "2" and ">" rather than "."). Neither Shift nor Caps Lock affects this.

Cold boot restores normal functionality. Erratic behaviour begins again unpredictably.

I'd be concerned that I had a virus but apparently Linux doesn't do viruses. I'd be concerned that I had a rootkit but haven't installed anything in months and only generic stuff even then. The only recent changes have been installation of automatic updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

paleophyte
July 23rd, 2018, 10:35 PM
OK, so after digging around a bit it looks like this is being caused by a sticking key, likely scroll lock or num lock. The original keyboard is twitchy as all hell, so I use a USB keyboard. Can anybody please tell me how to disable the keyboard that's built into the laptop without disabling the USB keyboard?

Rex Bouwense
July 24th, 2018, 03:50 PM
You can start your research here. https://askubuntu.com/questions/160945/is-there-a-way-to-disable-a-laptops-internal-keyboard

paleophyte
July 24th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Thanx.

> xinput list
> xinput float whatever value the keyboard ID is

seems to have disabled the keyboard.

Is there a way to implement that so that I don't have to do it manually every time I reboot this silly thing?