PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Missing volume OSD in Kubuntu 18.04

mehranziadloo
July 17th, 2018, 04:23 AM
I just installed Kubuntu 18.04 on my desktop computer last week and I clearly remember that the volume had an OSD but for some reason, it does not show anymore. I can't tell if it's due to something I've done or not, but it might be because of some theme that I've installed (I've also installed Kvantum). Anyways, does anyone know how can I restore the volume OSD?

SeijiSensei
July 17th, 2018, 04:32 PM
You mean a full-time desktop item? I just click on the volume control icon in the panel when I care to look. I have plasma-widget-addons installed, too, and don't see any other volume widgets. There are a couple more available if you browse online, but I didn't see what you're looking for.

mehranziadloo
July 18th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Osu SeijiSensei,

Well, I'm not sure if it's technically a widget or not. Personally, I would call it OSD (on-screen display). It's like the volume change indicator on TVs. I've already got the volume icon by the clock but the only way to see the current volume is to click on it. If I hover the mouse on the volume icon and scroll my mouse, I don't see the current level of the volume as it changes (unless I click on the volume icon but that's not what I'm after). I'm sure I wasn't hallucinating before and there was actually an OSD showing this in the middle of the screen. One other reason to believe that such an OSD exists is that when I'm watching a movie in full-screen mode and I use my keyboard to change the volume, the picture flicks as if there's an overlay image badly rendered on top of the movie.

This is the closest thing I could find online, but it's not Kubuntu, of course:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/uploads/default/original/2X/b/bd727517c1369198ab0bd6f0b6fac6743a616be2.png