PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Recover Interrupted Ubuntu Upgrade from 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS

coolcatco888
July 17th, 2018, 01:44 AM
Hi All,

My initial upgrade seemed to fail when during the upgrade the screen turned black and never recovered after 20mins. I rebooted and then after a painful process of trial and error I was finally able to execute this command to update the distro:

apt-get dist-upgrade
(I was using this guide as reference: how-to-repair-ubuntu-installation-after-interrupted-dist-upgrade-without-losing (https://askubuntu.com/questions/748289/how-to-repair-ubuntu-installation-after-interrupted-dist-upgrade-without-losing))

I'm pretty sure my version is now 16.04 LTS as a mew image: 4.4.0-130-generic was added to GRUB2. However I cannot boot, instead, it tries to boot, fails and brings me to the recovery console.

To fix this, I type:

apt-get update
apt-get -f install

I get this message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

So then I do exactly that and this happens

dpkg --configure -a
Setting up snapd (2.32.9) ...

Then crashes unexpectedly with no error and then exits the console session with this message:

Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to try again to boot into default mode.
Press Enter for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):

dpkg fails to configure snapd and I have no way of running apt-get -f install

How do I fix my interrupted Ubuntu upgrade? Do I:
1. Remove the snapd package? (I'm sure it is not required)
2. Fix snapd package somehow?

Any help would be appreciated. Also reformatting and a clean install is out of the question as I triple boot with Mac, Windows and Ubuntu on a hybrid/mbr gpt partition scheme and I literally have no way to back up my hard drive before reformatting everything.

coolcatco888
July 17th, 2018, 06:39 AM
Ok so I managed to solve this by myself.

I used the livecd session instead of the boot recovery session and ran:
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get update
apt-get -f install

When I rebooted, it failed to boot because I auto mounting my network drives were failing.

So I simply commented out those entries in /etc/fstab and it worked!