PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why No python3 on default install on some Linux distros

jason.jackal
July 13th, 2018, 03:26 PM
I have been playing with other Linux distros this week since I am very excited to learn and I have noticed the ones I have tried did not install Python3 by default. Python community - why is that? I have read that a few key system resources require 2.7; however, I do not understand they Python3 version would be loaded as well, so new software can/could be developed.

Thank you

jason.jackal
July 13th, 2018, 03:36 PM
I also noticed that Python2.x is not even installed on Ubuntu Server, unless I did something wrong.

oldfred
July 13th, 2018, 04:00 PM
What version of Ubuntu?
I have 64 bit Desktop & it has ython3 by default. Lots of internal use requires python3.

And python2.7 is available. In fact when I installed one application it pulled in 2.7. And that one app says they have no plans to ever convert to python3. Another app also uses 2.7 but is almost done converting to python3.

jason.jackal
July 13th, 2018, 06:44 PM
What version of Ubuntu?
I have 64 bit Desktop & it has ython3 by default. Lots of internal use requires python3.

My newest desktop has Python2.x and Python3.x; however, my Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS appears to have only installed python3.x.

When i 'tab complete' Pyth~ it gives me only Python3.x options for completion.

This is a good thing, and was just was curious as to why Ubuntu packages and ships Python3.x while other flavors do not package and ship with Python3 as a default option.

I am trying to learn Linux and Programming so I am very new, and trying to understand the different mindsets as to why different version of Python being installed.