PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] network and top bar icons

jgw
July 12th, 2018, 09:49 PM
My system running with 18.04

The other day I had something really strange happen. I have three top bar icons that have, exactly, the same drop downs (volume, mystery gear, network connected, vpn, and user. Also 3 icons at bottom, settings, lock, and exit ubuntu). Anyway, I was in Firefox and it was not connecting. The icons looked as if everything was ok but, when clicked I was disconnected, or I was connected but my vpn was not (which cannot be), etc. I then went to my settings (network). Oh, I should also mention that all this stuff moved around in no particular order. In the first instance, (not connected), the network settings said I was connected, in another instance, (connected but no vpn), I was not connected but my vpn was). All this stuff moved all over and when I tried to disconnect from the top bar drop down there was no option to disconnect sometimes and sometimes it would appear. The point, I think, is that the settings display, and the top bar icon drop downs did not agree with one another. I then did a search to see if I could somehow restart my network and found some directions as to how to do this but none of that worked as well. What I had was something that was simply not right and I never did figure it out. What I did, instead, was to turn it off and turn it back on from the front button of the machine in question. When it came back up everything worked properly and all the problems went away.

The reason that I am posting this is that I wonder if there is a way to restart the network. I also wonder if the problem was in the gnome desktop and if there is a way to turn that off and on (restart it). I have no idea what happened, I have never seen it do this and suspect it may never happen again but, just in case.

Thank you.................

saderror256
July 17th, 2018, 02:33 AM
is your hardware switch interfering with your system? Check that first

jgw
July 19th, 2018, 10:18 PM
I am not sure what is meant by 'hardware switch' - on/off switch on front of machine?

This has not happened again so I think I am ok.

For the heck of it - I had noticed a discernable of the machine slowing down and then, yesterday I think, I got a new update and that has gone away so I am assuming it was just something that needed fixing.

Anyway - thanks for the reply and I will mark the solved.