PDA

View Full Version : Back from the dead... if only I had ever lived.

Churusaa
July 6th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Just resurrected my old account from 2006, which has to be some kind of record. 12 years with almost no activity. I can't even change my profile settings yet. ;-;

I've been using Linux the whole time since I created this account as a noob, so I have picked up a few tricks in the mean time. Installing Warty Warthog in a QEMU/KVM instance for nostalgia reasons reminded me that I probably had an Ubuntu forums account, and I remembered my password from all those years ago.

Out of curiosity, would anybody be interested in collaborating on a writeup of getting Warty Warthog installed as a VM on modern hardware? I'll be fiddling with this myself, but I'm willing to bet I've overlooked something, since it's taken about three weeks to get everything installed, and most of that has been waiting on apt-get (I don't have it checking for packages from the Internet... unchecked that box during installation).

TheFu
July 6th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Posting help for end-of-life releases is against forum rules now.

Support for 17.10 ends in a few weeks, BTW.
At this point, 14.04, 16.04, 18.04 are the only releases anyone should be installing.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Churusaa
July 6th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't know that, but I probably should have.

TheFu
July 6th, 2018, 08:41 PM

I think it is mainly to prevent people running out-of-support releases from getting mad when there isn't any help and to prevent burnout from volunteers. We still see the occasional "help emergency" posts from someone running an 8.06 or 10.04 system that finally died (usually without any patches, ever, no backups, and no idea about Linux).

Since we are in the cafe, almost anything goes.

oldos2er
July 6th, 2018, 09:40 PM

Yeah, we just can't support versions that Canonical itself no longer supports. But obviously you're free to mess with the code all you like. Unsupported releases have their repos moved to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/. If you're going to install and/or run one, don't connect it to the internet; too many security issues.