PDA

View Full Version : Why would Google rate a standard EOL announcement as dangerous phishing?

Paddy Landau
July 6th, 2018, 01:56 PM
I received the normal end-of-life message, this time for Ubuntu 17.10.

Gmail placed it in spam and rated it as a dangerous phishing email. See the attachment.

It's never done that to end-of-life announcements before!

Why do you suppose that Gmail did this? I'm at a loss as to which words triggered the alert.

PaulW2U
July 6th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Gmail placed it in spam and rated it as a dangerous phishing email.
Mine was treated in exactly the same way.

Why do you suppose that Gmail did this? I'm at a loss as to which words triggered the alert.
May be it's not the text of the email that caused this but the contents of the headers?

My Ubuntu mailing list mail gets sent to my @ubuntu.com email address. It then gets sent to my mail provider and then as a backup gets forwarded to GMail. Too many redirects? Perhaps the originating headers don't show what Gmail think they should show if mail is being received from a mailing list? I'm only guessing though. Email headers are far too complicated for me to bother analysing these days.

Annoyingly, even though I've told GMail that the message is not spam the very prominent warning message remains.

Paddy Landau
July 6th, 2018, 03:38 PM
I've raised this as a discussion point (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/yBQnFMpq70g;context-place=forum/gmail) on Google's support forum.

1fallen
July 6th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Things have gotten out of hand with Google IMHO.
I just fired them...just one account left needed for the forums. :)

Paddy Landau
July 6th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Things have gotten out of hand with Google IMHO.
I just fired them...just one account left needed for the forums. :)
Google has grown so large that they tend to ignore problems unless it suits them otherwise. It's such a pity, because the extent of their free offerings is astonishing.

I shall keep on with Google, though — there is just too much to transfer should I wish to use a different provider, and where would I get the same range of services at the same price?

1fallen
July 7th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Google has grown so large that they tend to ignore problems unless it suits them otherwise. It's such a pity, because the extent of their free offerings is astonishing.

I shall keep on with Google, though — there is just too much to transfer should I wish to use a different provider, and where would I get the same range of services at the same price?

Sadly :( I can offer only this: https://restoreprivacy.com/google-alternatives/
I agree with you in the fact "the extent of their free offerings is astonishing."
But I feel this is the cost "You are the product"
Keep in mind we all differ in our tolerance on private data collected. :D
I'm a funny guy when it it comes to a big brother mindset from google. (My Meaning is not political based please keep this in mind.;) )

Paddy Landau
July 7th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Keep in mind we all differ in our tolerance on private data collected.
Indeed so. I am the product. Additionally, I have spent money directly on Google (e.g. Google Play Music, which I find hugely better than Spotify, Daydream View, and the Pixel 2), so without question it has made a profit from me.

In return, Google gives me an interconnected set of services, including 17Gb free space (not counting the unlimited space for photos and videos), plus Android, Docs, Sheets, and more. I also use Google's free services for a few local community charities, saving them a fair cost.

For me, this has been a worthwhile transaction. Google gets more from me than it feels that it spends on me; likewise, I get more from Google than I feel that I spend on it.

Obviously, for you, the calculation is different, and that's fine — without people like you, there would be no competition to Google (and we know that these large companies need more competition!).

1fallen
July 7th, 2018, 03:04 PM
For me, this has been a worthwhile transaction..

That's all that matters then.:) If your happy then I'm happy.

paulosebin
July 24th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Maybe because your e-mail is hosted in a serve that sent a lot of e-mails unwanted. Is users mark e-mails like spam, the Gmail system can mark always spam.

Paddy Landau
July 25th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Maybe because your e-mail is hosted in a serve that sent a lot of e-mails unwanted. Is users mark e-mails like spam, the Gmail system can mark always spam.
It's not my mail that was marked as spam. It was Ubuntu's end-of-life mail. I've received another mail from Ubuntu since then, and it was correctly marked as normal. It must have been a one-off hiccup.