PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] lubuntu 18.04lts torrent download with transmission, client torrent

oneleded
July 3rd, 2018, 05:05 AM
lubuntu.me suggests magnet torrent download. i dont know how to set this up. i have transmission, with 16.04lts., still dont have a clue how to use this. where is a good place to learn?, here, or otherwise. maybe even a different torrent client, could be helpful. still quite nieve with linux, i am. getting more an more dedicated though.:) ed
working on 18.04 lts download

Dennis N
July 3rd, 2018, 11:20 AM
i have transmission, with 16.04lts., still dont have a clue how to use this.
From that web page you refer to, click the 'magnet', select 'transmission' then 'open link'. You get the transmission 'options' window where in this case there is nothing to do except click 'open'. Then main transmission window opens, it automatically starts the download (see screenshot). Wait till its done downloading the iso, then when download is complete, it will continue in upload mode, and your file is shared with other users. Proper thing to do is to let it run for a time. You can set the amount of upload (ratio to what you received) in the gear menu. Experts say that with transmisssion, there is no need to verify the downloaded iso with sha256 sum.

oneleded
July 4th, 2018, 03:00 AM
somehow i managed to download with transmission last night. i got 1.08 GB. transmission, is paused, download shows its 100%. i seem to be stuck, at this point.. i did use magnet link once i figured out the symbol on the right side of download button.

oneleded
July 4th, 2018, 03:49 AM
somehow i managed to download with transmission last night. i got 1.08 GB. transmission, is paused, download shows its 100%. i seem to be stuck, at this point.. i did use magnet link once i figured out the symbol on the right side of download button.
never mind ^^^^^ i did manage to find where download went.. i copied it and pasted on the desktop. next i will be working on the iso. i also believe i changed dowlloads to go to the desktop. least i hope so

oneleded
July 4th, 2018, 09:10 AM
getting the iso to the disk seems to be a problem for me. i have to post new thread. thanks for help

Dennis N
July 4th, 2018, 11:24 AM
somehow i managed to download with transmission last night. i got 1.08 GB. transmission, is paused, download shows its 100%. i seem to be stuck, at this point
Nothing was wrong. It would have switched to uploading and there were probably no takers for your file at the time. So it appeared nothing was happening. You can stop the uploading from the menu if necessary. But glad to hear the download worked out. Yes, there is more to do - you need to make a bootable USB or DVD to actually install the new OS. There are lots of tutorials for this and you generally use another utility application called a USB (or DVD) creator to do this. See links at top of page under "Other Support", or Ubuntu Community > Ubuntu Wiki or Community Wiki for any guides.

oneleded
July 5th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Dennis; i had already started another thread, about iso. to disk, before i read the bottom of your last post. thanks for the info. ed