PDA

View Full Version : New installation without internet needs help

timfraf
July 1st, 2018, 05:57 PM
Hello,

First let me apologise if this post has already been answered a billion times...

So I am trying to dual boot(windows10 and a linux distro) my newly built PC. I am able to partition everything and install both OS and the grub boot loader. Some of the details of my issue: I used a USB and rufus to make the Ubuntu 18.04 installation USB, I am using a NETGEAR USB wifi adapter so I do not have internet upon installation of Ubuntu (I also do not have an ethernet port), my machine has hdmi, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0 ports available, there is a driver online which I have downloaded and have available, and I am using an external HDD for storage between OS and can see the drive in both windows and Ubuntu (it is NTFS formatted for dual use).
The problem I am having is that in order to use the wifi adapter driver I need the make utility and thus far I have tried:
1) using Synaptic to build a list of packages that I need in order to get make and then take that script to a pc that has internet.
2) installing the make utility using the .tar from the package site
3) trying to make my own offline repository

and now my failures:
1) Synaptic requires make to build it, so you can see the circular logic...
2) I can get the make tar from Ubuntu but Ubuntu fails to install it when I click on the "open with software installer"
3) The made repository never is accessed even when I add it to the "other software" tab under software and updates.

I know that each one of these probably has solutions and I will continue to explore them but I would like to ask the community if there is an installation that has both the files for Ubuntu OS and the complete offline package repo so that I can have all of it baked into one place that I can install the os, run the make file on the Netgear driver, and then have wifi. I think this is best but I am also willing to take suggestions on other things to try.

Best and TIA,

jeremy31
July 1st, 2018, 06:04 PM
In terminal there is a print-uris option. You need package build-essential so in terminal
sudo apt-get install --print-uris build-essential
And terminal should show URL's to download the packages from along with MD5 sums. Download when online and copy them to Ubuntu destop, then in terminal
cd Desktop
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

timfraf
July 2nd, 2018, 12:49 AM
Ugh, well I guess that Ubuntu doesn't know what build-essential package is. I just tried your code and Ubuntu responded that it doesn't recognize a package named build-essential.

I will try and find a friend who is running Ubuntu and has an internet connection who can run this command for me.

I will update as I go... thanks though

timfraf
July 2nd, 2018, 05:05 AM
Update: I tried adding main to source.list and it still will not recognize build-essentials as valid package.
I also tried making an offline repo but it is saying that the signature for the repo is not valid. This is really frustrating. I am going to try and find a tutorial for compiling gcc offline and see where that goes.