PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] network activity

jgw
June 30th, 2018, 08:19 PM
I used to use the system load indicator but removed it because it wasn't working right. I also have four icons, at the end of my top bar; network, vpn, sound, and exit. Everyone of these icons have, exactly, the same dropdown. What I am looking for is something to show me my disk activity (reading & writing) and my network activity (uploading and downloading). I am not interested in the details so much as just seeing whether the net is doing something, same with the disks.

Given that I have 4 icons, each of which have the same drop downs, one can only wonder why this is as it seems to be a real opportunity to do something more with these with, say, colors. The network icon could show, with colors, weather its down or up loading. Same with the vpn (right now, if there is no vpn the icon just goes away) which could by color notify whether the vpn is on or off. The exit icon has the same drop down as the other three. It used to be, before 18.04 that the dropdown had slightly different info and links to setting, etc built in (I have now put those into dash.

As far as the network thing is concerned. I have found that the gnome addons have two displays for the network. The problem is that they don't work. Just takes up space with underlines and '0', irregardless whether its doing something or not. Even if one of them worked they would take up too much space with too much info I don't need often and is pretty easy to find anyway.

I just thought I would post this one in the hope that somebody knows of something that might fit me.

Thank you.......................

jgw
July 4th, 2018, 05:37 PM
I have found an addon which will display disk activity with a varying sized green dot which is GREAT! (one problem solved) <G>

OK - I have solved this one. I found that there are two system monitors. The one that works is the gnome system monitor.

This one works but it insists on showing cpu activity and will not show disk activity. In theory you can choose what to display but that, apparently doesn't work.

Will mark this one as done.........