PDA

View Full Version : Install 18.04 but not dual boot rather boot w10 of the machine

nwpll
June 29th, 2018, 12:21 AM
I have been using Ubuntu since Dapper way back. I am getting a laptop with W10 installed and would rather get rid of w10 instead of having a dual boot machine and just use 18.04.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Peter

TheFu
June 29th, 2018, 04:11 AM
Congrats. Is there a question or is this really for the Cafe/Chat forum?

oldfred
June 29th, 2018, 04:58 AM
Since you paid for Windows be sure to fully back it up. You may later want to use Windows, some later find one game or application they must have that only runs in Windows.
Or later want to sell system and buyer has to have Windows.

One user who often upgrades hardware, buys laptop with HDD. And before even booting it, removes HDD, and adds SSD for Ubuntu. Then later when selling laptop, puts "new" Windows back in and does not even have to worry about any of his data on system.

Some brands or models work better than others, but most main stream systems will work with Ubuntu. If very new hardware, you may have to add kernels or drivers that are not yet in standard Ubuntu but developers have just made or are working on.

What brand/model system? What video card/chip.
If just looking for general info, thread may be better in chat as TheFu suggests.

yancek
June 29th, 2018, 11:54 AM
If you do decide to keep windows and install Ubuntu on the same computer, it would definitely be a good idea to carefully read the Ubuntu documentation on the subject at the link below before beginning.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

TheFu
June 29th, 2018, 12:27 PM
One user who often upgrades hardware, buys laptop with HDD. And before even booting it, removes HDD, and adds SSD for Ubuntu. Then later when selling laptop, puts "new" Windows back in and does not even have to worry about any of his data on system. as Oldfred says.

I would pull the HDD and install a new one before doing anything else. Some warranty repairs will only be performed if Windows is available, so you'll need that untouched disk until the warranty ends, at least. Plus, who wants to send in/drop off a computer with all their data on it to a fix-it shop if the HDD isn't broken.

nwpll
June 30th, 2018, 09:49 PM
Hi All

Thanks for all your valuable help, I have a hard drive from a previous laptop with Ubuntu already installed and hopefully I will be able to fit that in the laptop I am going to buy.

peter

TheFu
June 30th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Hi All

Thanks for all your valuable help, I have a hard drive from a previous laptop with Ubuntu already installed and hopefully I will be able to fit that in the laptop I am going to buy.

peter

FYI, most new laptops come with SSDs which can have much smaller formats, so if you want a 2.5in 9mm laptop HDD to fit inside, then you should take special care for that to happen. OTOH, SSDs enhance performance and battery life hugely, so you might prefer to get another SSD (in the same format) as that used in the new computer.

SSDs come and 5+ different physical formats and with at least 3 different types of connectors. Being perfectly certain that the replacement matches the physical size, screw locations and connection type is important.

SSDs have changed the world of computing.