PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing Specter/Meltdown-vulnerable computers safely: possible?

MoebusNet
June 25th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Due to budgetary constraints, the majority of the computers I own are old enough that they will never receive patches for Specter/Meltdown vulnerabilities. Is there a way to safely/securely use these computers in a home environment? For example, could I use a new inexpensive computer (Beagleboard or equivalent?) to act as a firewall between my home network and the Internet? Or is my only option to keep the older computers completely disconnected from the grid? Ideas welcomed.

thenailedone
June 25th, 2018, 07:51 PM
The sky is not falling. If I were you I would continue to use my computers as normal.

But we have a Security sub-forum where the more security focused like to hang out and exchange exploits ;)

poorguy
June 26th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Yeah all of my computers are old core 2 duos and I'm not going to sweat it as this seems to have been around long before anyone was aware of it.

I also have faith in the Ubuntu devs and the Firefox devs keeping us old computer users as myself secure as best that can be done. ;)

jimijives
July 6th, 2018, 06:40 PM
Is it safe to say using 2FA and NoScript should protect those of us with non patched CPUs because the exploit is read only and an attacker can't gain control of the computer?

I am in two minds about throwing out a mint condition computer because it feels such a waste.

However, I don't mind anyone reading my data as long as they can't gain root privileges if that makes sense?