PDA

View Full Version : is it that hard ???

MaximB
August 19th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I've notice that there are hundreds of FREE online games like world of warcraft (but free)
some of them are really good games
here's a list :
http://play-free-online-games.com/games/games_rpg.html

but I must say it drives me MAD !!!
almost every free game there is for windows only.
why ??? it's free
but it's not open source

tell me - if you made a game for windows
is it that hard to make a client for linux ???

VirtuAlex
August 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, it is hard if you did not plan it ahead and separate actual code from platform specific calls.

Tomosaur
August 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Not everything free is automatically open-source, sometimes for good reason. Many big, well produced free games are sponsored by a company, or have things which prevent open-sourcing in the first place. Other times, the creators simply don't have the time or expertise to create a version for linux, or mac, or whatever.

Unless you know about programming, it's very easy to say 'oh it can't be difficult to make a linux version too', but in reality, much of the code needs to be re-written for a different platform. All of this takes time and effort, and most indie/free game developers just want the majority of people (Windows users) to know about their game and play it.

djsroknrol
August 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I've notice that there are hundreds of FREE online games like world of warcraft (but free)
some of them are really good games
here's a list :
http://play-free-online-games.com/games/games_rpg.html

but I must say it drives me MAD !!!
almost every free game there is for windows only.
why ??? it's free
but it's not open source

tell me - if you made a game for windows
is it that hard to make a client for linux ???

My friend, you know it's all about the money end of it,,,,

sapo
August 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Nice, thanx for the link man.. i found some that have linux versions..

like this one: http://www.graalonline.com/

second-life has a linux version too

Michael_aust
August 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I have no idea how hard it is to make a cross platform game.

But eternal lands is a cross platform Free software game, free as in price game available on Linux and Windows.

Its an online multiplayer word of war craft type thing

http://happypenguin.org/show?Eternal%20Lands

VirtuAlex
August 20th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I have no idea how hard it is to make a cross platform game.
That is not so hard. Not much harder than to make platform specific game. The hard part is to port one that never meant to be cross platform. I would say most of the time it is easier to rewrite it from scratch for the different platform.

ubuntu_demon
August 22nd, 2006, 02:50 PM
id develops cross-platform games (such as Doom 3 and the Quake series). They actually open source a lot of those games after a couple of years.

IMHO we should support game manufacturers like id.

MaximB
August 22nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
id develops cross-platform games (such as Doom 3 and the Quake series). They actually open source a lot of those games after a couple of years.

IMHO we should support game manufacturers like id.

you are 100% right !!!
and when you buy games like that , please make sure you buy from a linux web shop
that way the support would be more clear
and will count as linux sale .

Lord Illidan
August 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
ID has become one of my favourite game companies..
They acknowledge that Linux is out there, and make an effort to make sure that their products work on it.

About MMORPGS, I think it's like this.

1. Most are probably produced with DirectX.
2. Most of the producers don't want to take the time to port to Linux.
3. Porting to Linux is time taken which could be used to improve the game itself.
4. Money.

You'll find exceptions, luckily, like Planeshift, Eternal Lands, etc.. but they are still in the minority. Also, the really good MMORPGS like WoW, Hero Online, etc, are still Windows only. Still, WoW can work with wine, it is said.

Somenoob
August 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Most free online games are web browser based, and if they use seperate client programs than the game must suck, since all freeware games lack quality.

Lord Illidan
August 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Most free online games are web browser based, and if they use seperate client programs than the game must suck, since all freeware games lack quality.

I don't agree with you, there are many freeware games out there which are really, really good..

How about Battle for Wesnoth, for one thing? That is really good quality, imho.

Also, please note, you are generalising too much...and please, do you really expect guys working for nothing to produce as good a game as commerical games from Triple A companies? They do their best, but they can't hire top of the range artists themselves.

It also seems that you have no idea of the work that goes on in producing a game..
Try doing a game yourself, we'll see who is talking then.