PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Any benefit to waiting for 18.04.1 Release?

AwaitingUserInput
June 19th, 2018, 01:13 AM
I'm running Kubuntu 17.10. It crashes more often and has more hangups than 16.04 did on the same system, but it works well enough.

I am planning to upgrade to 18.04 but I am waiting for the *.1 release, thinking that some bugs will be worked out by then that may have made it into the original release.

Is this good thinking, or should I just upgrade now and all the fixes would come through when I do sudo apt update and upgrade comands?

Is there a scheduled date for when 18.04.1 will come out?

DuckHook
June 19th, 2018, 02:26 AM
There are naturally more bugs before the first point release. However, 18.04 has been out for a couple of months now and many of the worst bugs have been squashed. I'm running it daily without any problems.

In your case, you should be aware that 17.10 will run out of support at the end of this month. Therefore, it makes loads of sense for you to upgrade immediately without waiting for the first point release. When upgrading, please note the important reminder in my sig.

monkeybrain20122
June 19th, 2018, 02:34 AM
If you are using a buggy system already what have you gotten to lose? ;) Besides 17.10 will expire in a month. If you are on 16.04 and it is stable then I would suggest to wait til 18.04.1 AT LEAST.

PaulW2U
June 19th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Is there a scheduled date for when 18.04.1 will come out?
The Release Schedule (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseSchedule) shows that 18.04.1 is due for release on 26th July.

In your case, you should be aware that 17.10 will run out of support at the end of this month.
According to the Release Notes (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes), support will cease in July, the exact date to be confirmed but I seem to remember it is often the last Thursday or the last day of the month.

AwaitingUserInput, you should also think about a fresh installation of 18.04 as there's no guarantee that an upgrade from a buggy installation will fix your issues especially if those issues have not been reported by other users or fixed by the developers. A clean install might not have the same issues. Your choice of course as we can only offer our opinions on what you have told us and we don't know the exact nature or the severity of your installation's crashes.

kc1di
June 19th, 2018, 02:19 PM
I installed kubuntu 18.04 and have to say it's already very stable. But it's alway wise to back up your important data. and waiting for the .1 release is not a bad Idea.
If you are having problems with 17.10 I'm not sure 18.04 is going to correct them. Good luck whatever you choose.