PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu won't start on 7 yr old Toshiba laptop

sol33t303
June 14th, 2018, 05:15 AM
My friend has lent me his 7 yr old Toshiba laptop to install linux on it. When I try and boot into my USB with Lubuntu however it shows "do_IRQ: 1.55 No irq handler for vector" and below that "Problem loading UEFI:db x.509 certificate (-65)". This is after getting to grub and trying out Lubuntu without installing. I also tried manjaro and Linux Mint, however they don't work either. Manjaro just shows a blank screen and Mint gets stuck at "starting version 250" (or something close to that, I can't remember the specific number). My friend is new to Linux so I want to create a dualboot with Windows 8.

ajgreeny
June 14th, 2018, 10:58 AM
How did you create the live USB disk which you're using?

The error message you saw
Problem loading UEFI:db x.509 certificate (-65) suggests that you are trying to install in UEFI mode which is unlikely to be the computer's firmware type, as I suspect a 7 year old machine used MBR.

Have a read through the info at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI which may help you figure out which mode you used, and which you really need to use.

sol33t303
June 14th, 2018, 03:48 PM
After setting in the laptops bios to boot in bios mode that error seems to have been fixed (though if the laptop dosn't support UEFI why would they have the option to boot in UEFI mode in the bios?). However the other error is still there. I created the live USB disk using dd on my PC.

ubfan1
June 14th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Did you ever run the media check/memory check from the install media? dd can't work around bad blocks like a filesystem can, so there might be a problem with the media. UEFI has been around since the 90s, not that every UEFI machine had Windows installed in UEFI mode. My 7 yr old Lenovo came with Win7 on a msdos partitioned disk, so legacy mode, but will boot a UEFI disk just fine (no secure boot though, just UEFI).