PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Successful installing but no screen!!

mbzadegan
June 13th, 2018, 06:14 AM
Hi everybody,
I have Lenovo-miix-310. I booted ubuntu(18.04-desktop-amd64) live and when grub opened I switch to install OS in my tablet. It boot OK and enter to ubuntu without error and run installing procedure automatically without any error. It finished installing successfully but when I rebooted, I have no screen in my display at all!! How can I resolve my issue? :confused:

mbzadegan
June 13th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Finally I findout my issue! when I push the power button (double push) it show my desktop in the portrait mode and not landscape (because my device is tablet).
I run terminal and run this command to rotate screen in 90° clockwise:

xrandr -o right

and it show my desktop OK!:cool:
How can I run this command automatically on every login?

mbzadegan
June 13th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Does anybody know How can I boot ubuntu in landscape display mode?

ubfan1
June 13th, 2018, 10:45 PM
The xorg man page https://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.html says:
In the monitor section of sorg.conf

Option "Rotate" "rotation" This optional entry specifies the initial rotation of the given monitor. Valid values for rotation are "normal", "left", "right", and "inverted". (RandR 1.2-supporting drivers only)

mbzadegan
June 14th, 2018, 01:18 PM
The xorg man page https://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.html says:
In the monitor section of sorg.conf

Option "Rotate" "rotation" This optional entry specifies the initial rotation of the given monitor. Valid values for rotation are "normal", "left", "right", and "inverted". (RandR 1.2-supporting drivers only)

I can not find any xorg.conf by the #find / -iname xorg.conf command! Why?

ubfan1
June 14th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Look at the answer https://askubuntu.com/questions/217758/how-to-make-an-xorg-conf-file
Basically, stop the X server, then generate an xorg.conf with sudo X -configure in your current directory. Then you edit it.
Unless it's needed, the xorg.conf is not even generated these days, most things default correctly.

mbzadegan
June 14th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Look at the answer https://askubuntu.com/questions/217758/how-to-make-an-xorg-conf-file
Basically, stop the X server, then generate an xorg.conf with sudo X -configure in your current directory. Then you edit it.
Unless it's needed, the xorg.conf is not even generated these days, most things default correctly.

I inserted 3 to end of kernel line of grub.cfg to active run level 3 for booting without X. I run X -configure but error multilines and did not create any xorg.conf
How can I create xorg.conf without booting in runlevel 3?

mbzadegan
June 14th, 2018, 08:32 PM
I hold down alt + ctrl + F3 and enter to command line mode but when I run sudo service xorg stop it error me that did not load xorg! How can I stop X?

mbzadegan
June 17th, 2018, 05:12 AM
I hold down alt + ctrl + F3 and enter to command line mode but when I run sudo service xorg stop it error me that did not load xorg! How can I stop X?

Isn't any idea for stop the X service?

ubfan1
June 17th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Find which services are running
sudo service --status-all
locate the display manger, probably either lightdm or gdm and stop it.
X itself if not a "service", but you also may kill the X server -- locate it with
ps auxww
and locate the /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg line(s) and use the kill command on the pids
sudo kill xxxx
or
sudo kill -9 xxxx
if the first one doesn't work.

mbzadegan
June 18th, 2018, 07:39 AM
I found only gdm3 process but when I kill it my system was hanged and blinking among desktop and commandline mode!!
BTW, I use unity desktop and not use LXDE or GNOME.
Isn't any other way?

ubfan1
June 18th, 2018, 04:33 PM
You should be at a virtual terminal when you do kill the X server, and your screen should not be affected in any way. Choose a virtual term with the function keys ctrl + alt + F3 (1, 2, or 7 may be in use, so avoid them).

mbzadegan
June 18th, 2018, 07:16 PM
You should be at a virtual terminal when you do kill the X server, and your screen should not be affected in any way. Choose a virtual term with the function keys ctrl + alt + F3 (1, 2, or 7 may be in use, so avoid them).

Dear ubfan1, I tried to run console on TTY3 and I stop the gdm service that runs by root and this time my screen did not blinking and I seccess to kill this process only for 10 seconds! it started again by other process number. I think that the method of gdm process killing is not a good way to generate xorg.conf. ​Have you other hints?