PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Spam Still Readable

OffHand
August 19th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Hi
I wondered why spam posts are moved to the jail instead of deleted?
I think a better solution would be to either make them invisible or just remove them. It's a bit annoying they are still visible and readable.
Discuss! (Or explain to me why they are still readable ;) )

matthew
August 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
The forum policy (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) states:
If a thread is spam it will be moved to the forum jail.unless it is related to
Adult Content/Violence/Illegal Activity: Messages containing sexually oriented/violent/illegal dialog, images, content, or links to such will be deleted. Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. These actions could result in a ban.

OffHand
August 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
The forum policy (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) states:unless it is related to

Thanks for stating the policy but please explain to me why they are still readable. There is absolutely no need to keep them visible. If I want to buy game gold I will go to eBay (which I don't 'cause I do not play these kind of games :cool: )
And I assume the policy isn't written in stone. Am I right?

ComplexNumber
August 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
i agree that ALL spam should be deleted. i can guarantee that a proportion of the seemingly innocent ones are links to spyware-pits. it only needs 1 click for the user to become infected(on windows machines). on another forum, i have to delete this crap every day.

matthew
August 19th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks for stating the policy but please explain to me why they are still readable. There is absolutely no need to keep them visible. If I want to buy game gold I will go to eBay (which I don't 'cause I do not play these kind of games :cool: )
And I assume the policy isn't written in stone. Am I right?As I recall the policy was put into place as it currently stands because a number of users were complaining about any posts being deleted, even spam. The compromise at the time was to only delete the absolutely offensive/illegal stuff and leave the other spam garbage to prove we were being transparant.

I would invite further feedback from any and all reading this thread. Should we change the policy and begin deleting all spam? Please comment.

OffHand
August 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
As I recall the policy was put into place as it currently stands because a number of users were complaining about any posts being deleted, even spam. The compromise at the time was to only delete the absolutely offensive/illegal stuff and leave the other spam garbage to prove we were being transparant.

I would invite further feedback from any and all reading this thread. Should we change the policy and begin deleting all spam? Please comment.

Glad to hear you are open to suggestions :)

Maybe a poll is a good idea?

Like the second poster mentioned; there could be all sorts of nasty stuff on the website from the links they provide. I think it is perfectly valid to remove posts that are obviously spam and I cannot imagine a real forum user would like to keep spam in sake of transparency.

dabear
August 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM
why not just remove the forum from public view? Almost like the Autmatix forum which is still there and readable if desired, but not on the front page anymore

matthew
August 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Glad to hear you are open to suggestions :)

Maybe a poll is a good idea?Let's continue to discuss the issue. I posted a poll here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239432).

matthew
August 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM
why not just remove the forum from public view? Almost like the Autmatix forum which is still there and readable if desired, but not on the front page anymoreFor what it's worth, when we delete things from the forums, they are only "soft deleted" which means they remain in a special part of the database that only staff and admins have access to. Nothing is ever fully deleted.

On another note, to keep the discussion in one place I'm going to close this thread. This does not mean I want to stop or slow the discussion, though. Please come the the poll thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239432) and continue talking about this!