PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] Unity 7 on Ubuntu MATE 18.04, no volume notification

chrisshyi
June 10th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Hey everyone,

Installed Unity 7 on Ubuntu 18.04 MATE and everything's worked well so far. The only exception is I don't get a notification in the upper right corner anymore whenever I change the volume using the keys on my keyboard, wondering if someone could give me some tips on setting that up. Thanks!

cruzer001
June 10th, 2018, 03:33 PM
How did you install Unity7?

I ask because I wish to try this.

mc4man
June 10th, 2018, 03:34 PM
install notify-osd package

monkeybrain20122
June 11th, 2018, 09:55 AM
How did you install Unity7?

I ask because I wish to try this.

sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop

When prompted choose lightdm as default

If need touchpad

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Reboot, that's it.

The meta-package ubuntu-unity-desktop pulls in stuffs that you may not need like gnome-mpv and youtube-dl. You can uninstall those. If don't need gnome shell (assumming you are on default 18.04) you can uninstall it.

deadflowr
June 11th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Is it only the sound notifying that doesn't work?
Or is it all notifying?

If only sound, then try this
remove the pulse folder from your user's home folder at
/home/user/.config/pulse
then log out and log back in.

It feels like one issue wouldn't be connected to other, but for some reason this method has worked for me in the past.

The pulse folder will get regenerated anew on login.
So the most you might have to do is reset any non-default sound settings again in System Settings > Sound.

(If you do not want to outright delete the pulse folder then just move it somewhere out of the way)

((the .config folder is hidden by default,, but you can use ctrl + H in the Files program to enable showing hidden folders and files.))

Again, if this issue affects all notifying, then ignore the above, as then it's something else.