PDA

View Full Version : difficulty getting lubuntu 18.04 to run in an Acer Aspire ES15

BrianV
June 5th, 2018, 08:57 PM
I am experiencing difficulty getting lubuntu 18.04 to run in an Acer Aspire ES15 that may be related to this discussion. The laptop has Win10 installed and I don't seem able to set up a dual boot with Lubuntu. I have tried several versions of USB made with the lubuntu iso download, most recently using rufus. The laptop boot sequence dose not recognize the lubuntu USB, but using the F12 boot selector gives the choice of Win loader or the USB and allows the lubuntu system to load and run from the USB, with no problems I have managed to detect. Trying to install a dual boot system starts properly, but hangs at "installing the 'grub 2' package". I have turned off secure boot and rapid start/hibernate. When starting the lubuntu installation (with lubuntu running from the USB) by adding the grub option acpi=off the installation appears to complete, but on restart only the Win loader shows.

This seems to be a fairly common problem and I have looked at many forums and support pages, but am now at a loss as to how to proceed. Any advice will be welcome. Is this an appropriate thread for the discussion, or should I open yet another?

QIII
June 5th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Moved to its own thread from here (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2393415).

Please start your own threads rather than tagging on to another user's. While symptoms may appear to the the same, often the root cause is far different. Adding on to another's thread with your request for assistance causes confusion for the OP, for you and for all who attempt to help.

Cheers!