PDA

View Full Version : Rock64 as thin client/ remote viewer

waloshin
June 4th, 2018, 09:20 PM
My editing, mining rug is heating up the room too much. Coukd I remotely login through a Rock64 mini pc to edit my videos as well as access everything I need to do on my regular pc?

If anyone have has any better suggestion I am open to that too. Need 4K 60p display output.

QIII
June 4th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Hello!

You will need to research the Rock64 to see whether you can get that video output and whether your remote desktop solution supports it. There will also be substantial video latency over remote desktop, so that my effect your ability to do do your video editing work.

Whatever room your editing/mining rig is in will still get as hot. Do you plan to be in there or elsewhere?

waloshin
June 4th, 2018, 11:37 PM
Thank you for your reply.

The rock64 supports 4k 60p, the editing rig will be in a separate room if I can figure out a way to use it without me being beside it.

QIII
June 5th, 2018, 12:05 AM
OK, then.

The limitation with any remote desktop will be the 4K resolution if you plan to do any video editing where you need the detail. I'm not sure how many remote desktop applications will support 4K. That's a big bunch of data to force through the pipe.

In terms of 1920x1080 (1/4 of the resolution you are asking for), I have found NX to be far superior to other remote desktop protocols. NoMachine NX is quick and easy and runs over NoMachine's implementation of SSH, so it's pretty secure. The latency is almost (almost) low enough to watch a decent movie -- but not quite. Make that 4K (if NoMachine will do it) and you are still talking about a tall order.

How much does a cheap window A/C unit cost where you live? :)

waloshin
June 5th, 2018, 03:17 AM
Haha we do have central air. Though with a gtx 1070 and gtx 1080 mining that produces a lot of heat. Thank you for the suggestion on software.