PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't upgrade from 17.10 to 18.04

gibsonsimswilson
June 1st, 2018, 03:29 PM
Hello

First all I can do is post the message and fingers crossed someone can walk me through the solution. I really have no idea what to do when I open the terminal so I hope someone can explain in detail how I can correct this error.

I am trying to upgrade

Thanks in advance...

Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 828801 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing systemd-shim (9-1bzr4ubuntu1) ...
Removing 'diversion of /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service to /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service.systemd by systemd-shim'
dpkg-divert: error: rename involves overwriting '/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service' with
different file '/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service.systemd', not allowed
dpkg: error processing package systemd-shim (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
systemd-shim
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Bashing-om
June 1st, 2018, 06:27 PM
gibsonsimswilson; Hello -

I do not find the package " systemd-shim " in the software repository; so that raises the question of where it originates.
Do we get any hints:

apt policy systemd-shim

Post back that terminal command and it's output - Between Code Tags .
code tag tutorial:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php

where the suspect is 3rd party software.

maybe Yes

could be, not so yes

deadflowr
June 1st, 2018, 07:08 PM
One "solution" I've seen is to move the mentioned file like

sudo mv /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service.bak
then try running the upgrade commands.

reference:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/838491/systemd-shim-error-after-upgrading-from-16-04-to-16-10

gibsonsimswilson
June 2nd, 2018, 01:19 PM
Here is the output

apt policy systemd-shim
systemd-shim:
Installed: 9-1bzr4ubuntu1
Candidate: 9-1bzr4ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 9-1bzr4ubuntu1 100
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

monkeybrain20122
June 2nd, 2018, 04:39 PM
Is there any reason why you don't do a clean install?

The first post was posted a day ago. You would have 18.04 up and running 23 3/4 hrs ago if you had backed up your data and did a clean install. But now you are still here waiting for answers to some cryptic outputs.

PaulW2U
June 2nd, 2018, 06:57 PM
Here is the output

apt policy systemd-shim
systemd-shim:
Installed: 9-1bzr4ubuntu1
Candidate: 9-1bzr4ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 9-1bzr4ubuntu1 100
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Are you sure you're running Ubuntu 17.10?

According to the publishing history (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd-shim/+publishinghistory) for that package, systemd-shim was deleted from the Ubuntu archive on 1st June 2016 as it was no longer required. If you are still still seeing it as both installed and as a candidate for installation then there is something very wrong with your system. It seems strange that you're only now seeing this problem.

In any case, as has already been advised, a clean installation of Ubuntu 18.04 is the easiest way forward.