PDA

View Full Version : Troubles after upgrading to 18.04 from 17.10

doublec122
May 30th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Hi. So, technically I have two troubles, one that led to another. After I upgraded to 18.04, obviously I had to run into some form of issue. The issue is the black screen with the blinking cursor at the top left corner that after a while freezes. I tried to do the usual things, reinstalling Plasma (I have Kubuntu), restarting sddm and such. Nothing worked. Next, I tried to reinstall the nvidia drivers, since I was running out of options and I had some similar problem in the past and this worked then. First I purged nvidia, but then the tty froze and I had to restart. The second trouble comes in when I realise I don't see my wifi interface anymore and I my tethering doesn't work either, which is strange. What could be done?

Bashing-om
May 30th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Hello doublec122; Welcome to the forum.

What results when booting with the "nomodeset" boot parameter ?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 <- How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

EFI system ? Did you disable "secure boot" in bios ? as the nvidia driver is proprietary - 3rd party.

my bit to try and help

doublec122
May 30th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Hello doublec122; Welcome to the forum.

What results when booting with the "nomodeset" boot parameter ?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 <- How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

EFI system ? Did you disable "secure boot" in bios ? as the nvidia driver is proprietary - 3rd party.

my bit to try and help

Thank you for your answer, but, if it is possible, I'd like to get some help on my wifi interface problem first, since otherwise I can't access the internet at all (not even tethering works for me, it doesn't detect the interface). Moreover, if I solve this, I can finish reinstalling my nvidia drivers and if I still get a black screen, I'd recur to nomodeset. The worst part is that the wifi interface disappeared after I was forced to restart my laptop.

Bashing-om
May 30th, 2018, 08:04 PM
doublec122; Yuk :(

I have no WIFI experience - all wired here . Others here will pick up my slack.

A know-it-all I am not