PDA

View Full Version : [server] Installation of 18.04 fails

mattiash
May 25th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Three times I have tried to install 18.04 server, same result every time, the installation passes as it should after restart the hostname I added during installation is nowhere to see, I cannot login with the account I added during installation. What is happening and what could I do?

ubfan1
May 25th, 2018, 07:15 PM
How do you "see" the server? How are you trying to login? You do realize the server does not get installed with a GUI? Maybe what you want is a desktop install with some server applications added to it.

mattiash
May 25th, 2018, 07:37 PM
@ubfan1 What do you mean see the server? It is my home server so I stand right next to it. :)
I know it is via CLI I am trying to login.
Is there a GUI version for the server or the desktop?

ubfan1
May 25th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Any desktop release will come with a GUI. Of course, you could start with a server, add X, add a GUI, add ..., but why not just start with the desktop release. I think of a server as a box without a monitor, without a keyboard, and providing something like web or database on a network port. If you have a really limited machine incapable of installing a desktop release, I suppose the server might still fit, and be used for things like command line complies, etc. You would access the server via another machine running ssh. What are you trying to do? The desktop release fits most people's needs.