PDA

View Full Version : Clicks not working after upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04

kinsomicrote
May 22nd, 2018, 08:08 AM
Since I upgraded from Ubuntu 17.10 to 18.04, the Left and Right clicks have not been working.
I installed gnome-tweak-tools and followed the instructions here https://askubuntu.com/questions/1028113/right-click-on-touchpad-not-working-after-update-to-18-04-lts, but it still doesn't work.

On the logon screen, both buttons work well.
How do I resolve this?
So far all the solutions I've found from Google Search mention the use of gnome-tweak-tools, and that doesn't work.

Autodave
May 23rd, 2018, 01:42 PM
Is this a desktop or laptop? Did you do a clean install or did you upgrade what you already had installed?

kinsomicrote
May 25th, 2018, 03:09 PM
It's a laptop, I did an upgrade from Ubuntu 17.10.
The clicks actually work when I make use of Unity, instead of the others.

monkeybrain20122
May 27th, 2018, 02:19 AM
Try

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

If it says it is already installed, do

sudo apt remove xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Then reboot and see if it works now.

kinsomicrote
May 30th, 2018, 12:49 PM
It still didn't work.

luks911
May 30th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Hi, I have the same problem with a 18.04 fresh install on a HP Omen 15 :(

I made a downgrade to 17.10 because of this issue, but I'd like to find a solution and be able to use 18.04.

monkeybrain20122
May 31st, 2018, 06:41 PM
kernel issue perhaps? Maybe grab 4.16.x and see how it works http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Make a new folder, say call it linux in the Downloads directory (it doesn't matter what you call it and where you put it, just for easy reference here) Download three deb packages (linux-headers-all amd64, linux headers generic amd64, linux image generic amd64) into linux

then

cd ~/Downloads/linux

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Then reboot.

If new kernel breaks something or doesn't work, just boot back to the old kernel and uninstall the packages you just installed (it is easy if you have synaptic package manager installed. so

sudo apt install synaptic

To boot into old kernel, reboot and keep hitting the esc key (in some machine maybe shift key) then you will see the grub menu, choose advanced options and you can pick the old kernel (4.15.xx ) once booted into ubuntu, open synaptic. Click reload, then search for the packages you just installed and uninstall them.

luks911
May 31st, 2018, 06:58 PM
It's worth trying. Though, at least in my case, the problem didn't happen using Ubuntu from a pendrive in live mode.

kinsomicrote
June 2nd, 2018, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but it didn't resolve the issue.

kernel issue perhaps? Maybe grab 4.16.x and see how it works http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Make a new folder, say call it linux in the Downloads directory (it doesn't matter what you call it and where you put it, just for easy reference here) Download three deb packages (linux-headers-all amd64, linux headers generic amd64, linux image generic amd64) into linux

then

cd ~/Downloads/linux

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Then reboot.

If new kernel breaks something or doesn't work, just boot back to the old kernel and uninstall the packages you just installed (it is easy if you have synaptic package manager installed. so

sudo apt install synaptic

To boot into old kernel, reboot and keep hitting the esc key (in some machine maybe shift key) then you will see the grub menu, choose advanced options and you can pick the old kernel (4.15.xx ) once booted into ubuntu, open synaptic. Click reload, then search for the packages you just installed and uninstall them.

kinsomicrote
June 2nd, 2018, 07:06 PM
How did you go about the downgrade?

Hi, I have the same problem with a 18.04 fresh install on a HP Omen 15 :(

I made a downgrade to 17.10 because of this issue, but I'd like to find a solution and be able to use 18.04.

luks911
June 2nd, 2018, 08:34 PM
How did you go about the downgrade?

I have my /home in a separate partition, so I just took my old 17.10 iso image, put into a pendrive and installed it over 18.04.

The odd thing is that I didn't have the touchpad issue when I probed 18.04 in live mode :-k

monkeybrain20122
June 2nd, 2018, 08:40 PM
I have my /home in a separate partition, so I just took my old 17.10 iso image, put into a pendrive and installed it over 18.04.

The odd thing is that I didn't have the touchpad issue when I probed 18.04 in live mode :-k

17.10 expires in ~ a month. If you are downgrading may as well go 16.04 which is supported til 2021.

luks911
June 2nd, 2018, 09:06 PM
Ouch... Thanks for the information