PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lenovo Ideapad installation: wifi dongle not recognized

jrwoodward
May 17th, 2018, 10:09 PM
I am installing Ubuntu Server 18.04 to a Lenovo Ideapad 1208-11iAP (Model 81A4) with 2 gig of memory and a 64g hard drive. The installation medium is a usb thumb drive. I am using an Iogear Model#GWU627 wifi usb dongle, which has previously worked with two other computers.

The installation runs correctly until Step 4/9, "Configure at least one interface this server can use to talk to other machines, and which preferably provides sufficient access for updates."
There is no network interface to configure; no list and just plan space on the screen. If I select "Done" anyway, I get the error message "Network configuration times out; please verify your settings."

I have read about using dongles for network access so that Linux installations can be completed and the wifi set up. But I have not been able to find an instance when the dongle wasn't recognized and offered up for configuration. The Iogear dongle has a steady green power light and a blinking green WLAN light. I can ping it at static address 192.168.1.252, so I conclude that it is working and properly configured. Removing and reconnecting the usb dongle does nothing. When I switch the dongle and the usb thumb drive, the installation works (up to step 4), so it isn't a bad usb port.

How do I get the Ideapad to recognize the dongle?

jrwoodward
May 18th, 2018, 10:10 PM
OK, after being advised that Ubuntu Server will not run well on 2 gig of memory, I switched to installing Desktop. An acquaintance advised me that I could run the LAMP stack on Desktop just fine for development purposes. Desktop installed perfectly; the dongle worked and the drivers for the native wifi card installed as updates. I still wonder why the usb wifi dingle wasn't recognized by the Server install, though. Problem solved!

jeremy31
May 18th, 2018, 10:13 PM
Could you post results from terminal for
lsusb
I don't remember model numbers very well