PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen After Install Did amdgpu brick my GPU?

eriscode
May 17th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I was happily running Ubuntu 16.04 on my desktop for a few days. I have a little experience with linux but I can't seem to fix this. Then I decided today I wanted to Minecraft. Oh foolish me. I knew that AMD doesn't have great support for linux but
my card, a Radeon 550, looks like it had drivers. I downloaded amdgpu and used the instructions on the amd website... and was loading then to a black screen. I could launch using nomodeset to a much lower resolution. I couldn't fix the drivers no matter what I did. I ended up trying to reinstall linux. But now, weirdly, the install would go to black screen too. The first time I installed Ubuntu it loaded no problem from the USB. I had to use nomodeset to get in there, and then I was unable to install normally... and... black screen on boot, no way to open a terminal,nothing.

I popped in my windows install and it uses the GPU with no problem. I'm planning on getting a Windows PC just for gaming since... well I like to play Smite and Minecraft, but until then I might just have this be a windows box.

Is it possible it somehow ruined my GPU for linux? I've never seen anything like this.

Please delete this post. I just realized I've been trying to fix this for five hours and not making much sense. I'm going to look at it again tomorrow.