PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 17.10 to 18.04 upgrade: packages menu and initramfs cannot be installed

alex254
May 17th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Okay, seriously, this forum is incredibly frustrating. I keep trying to post and I keep getting rejected because my token is out of date. And then the auto-save feature keeps flashing but it's apparently only auto-saving an older post from today, not the one I'm currently working on.

----------

Anyway, I had a longer post written initially. Sorry if this is a bit sparse. I was running a 17.10 to 18.04 upgrade and the installer stalled out and kept generating errors. "The package 'menu' could not be installed." After over a hundred of those, the installation started back up, only to generate the same error for the initramfs package. (Uh oh.) At this point the installer started to back out of the upgrade, and it warned me that my system could be unrecoverable.

Anyone else go through this and have some advice?

Impavidus
May 17th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Although I've got good experiences with release upgrades myself, fixing one that went completely wrong is almost impossible. I suggest a fresh install.