PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Webcams not recognized in Xubuntu 18.04

peyre
May 13th, 2018, 06:57 PM
I upgraded to the latest version of Xubuntu 64-bit, but that trashed the way windows displayed--the bar at the top disappeared on all windows and I couldn't close things properly--I could fix it but I had to fix it every time I booted. So no big deal, I backed up my data and reinstalled from scratch. Now Xubuntu runs great on it, except I can't seem to use a webcam on it. (I'd like to get this working today if possible, for Skyping with Mom this evening.)

My laptop is a Sony Vaio with a VGP-VCC6 [R5U870], and on my previous installations of Xubuntu I've successfully installed it by running this in a terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:r5u87x-loader/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r5u87x
sudo /usr/share/r5u87x/r5u87x-download-firmware.sh
So this time I ran all that and it worked fine. The camera was working in Skype too. But now a few days later it's not. I reran the lines above, but still, Skype audio & video settings, under Camera, says No device found, and Cheese says No device found. Last night we Skyped and I could see them and they could hear me, but couldn't see me. I also tried plugging in a USB Creative webcam, but still neither program sees it. If I run lsusb I get the following for the two webcams:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ca:1839 Ricoh Co., Ltd. Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC6 [RSU870]
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 041e:4063 Creative Technology, Ltd. Live! Cam Video IM Pro
What's going on? Anyone have a suggestion for how to fix this, for either or both cameras?

peyre
May 19th, 2018, 04:54 AM
Uh...bump? Anyone?