PDA

View Full Version : Need Help to Fix my Bionic System (can't boot into anything but XFCE and LXDE!)

cubdukat1968
May 13th, 2018, 05:37 PM
This was posted elsewhere, but I think I might've put it in the wrong place, and I really need to get this fixed.

A couple weeks ago, I lost power on my laptop during an upgrade and couldn't boot into 16.04 LTS. I managed to fix that problem, but ever since then the system takes as long as WIndows to boot up where it used to boot up in a single minute.

I tried several times to upgrade to 18.04 LTS, but it kept blocking saying I had broken packages. I ended up having to uninstall all of the other versions beside Xubuntu in order to get it to install, and even then it took three separate passes to get everything.

But now, even after reinstalling everything, it now takes close to five minutes to boot up, and when I get to the LightDM greeter screen, booting into anything other than Xubuntu just kicks me back to the greeter screen. At least Kubuntu gives me some kind of error message: "Kinit could not be started."

Here's the boot log of one of those attempts. Hopefully someone can find the problem in there:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/ZGDTf8rdxZ/

I am trying to avoid a reinstall because of all the problems I had getting it on the laptop in the first place, but if necessary, I will do so.