PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't Boot from Cloned HD

MaccyDG
May 13th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Hello,

I'd be grateful for any help on an issue I'm having.

In Brief
I use Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit on a 5,400 rpm HD and am trying to upgrade it to a solid state device. I have cloned the disk, which appears to have worked, but the new SSD won't boot.

More Info
I've had a look at the sticky relating to the problem I'm having, but as the problem doesn't occur on the original disk that the clone was made from, I'm not sure what route to go down from here. I'm quite au fait with hardware stuff, but not that knowledgeable about the software side of things, so please don't assume too much knowledge! Ideally I want to keep my clone and not format/reinstall the OS afresh, as I have an old Win XP partition on there that I boot into once in a blue moon.
I can sometimes reach the Grub menu and sometimes not (seems quite random as to whether I do or not). When I do reach it, selecting my Ubuntu 16.04 (or Win XP) installation results in a black screen.

System: Acer Aspire 5100, 2x 2 GHz AMD Turion 64 bit, 4 GB RAM, RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200], 120 GB Samsung mSATA solid state with mSATA to IDE bridge controller.

GParted shows the same partitions on the cloned drive as on the original, and that they have the same amount of data written to them. So whilst it's possible that the cloning went wrong, it's probably not where I want to start?

Separately, I have made a bootable USB of Ubuntu 16.04. When this is inserted either with no HD/SSD present, or with only the original HD present, it boots. When I try to boot it when the new mSATA drive is present, it shows a black screen, same as booting off the mSATA device. This seems odd to me, and might be key to solving the issue. In all cases, the USB key is at the top of the boot list. When I boot from the USB key, I get a message telling me that it's using generic retpoline because LFENCE hasn't been serialised, which I don't see when booting from the original drive.

Things I have Tried

Reinstalling GRUB on the new disk
Using the boot option "--verbose text" in GRUB (it shows a load of text telling me what it's doing, then the screen turns blank again, as before)
Using boot option "radeon.modeset=0" (it says "[drm:radeon_init[radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module"

Just to be really explicit, the original hard drive that this one was cloned from works perfectly.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

Liam

rsrocha
May 13th, 2018, 02:07 PM
How did you cloned it? Are you booting with UEFI?

MaccyDG
May 13th, 2018, 07:55 PM
I cloned it using Redo Backup Live CD.

I'm not sure how to tell if I am booting it with UEFI, and I can't find the answer on DuckDuckGo. Booting off my old hard drive, I typed this in the terminal:

#!/bin/bash

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
... as per this question: https://askubuntu.com/questions/162564/how-can-i-tell-if-my-system-was-booted-as-efi-uefi-or-bios

It returns the text "BIOS". So I think that means my old hard drive is booting in BIOS mode. But I guess this doesn't mean my new one is. How would I find out?

Thank you!

Liam

oldfred
May 14th, 2018, 04:39 AM
You cannot have duplicate UUIDs, so HDD must be disconnected once you start booting with SSD. You can change UUIDs on one system or the other, but to have it boot then must edit UUIDs in fstab and reinstall grub.

May be best to see details, you can run from your Ubuntu live installer or any working install, use ppa version not older Boot-Repair ISO:
Post the link to the Create BootInfo summary report. Is part of Boot-Repair:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info and:
https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

MaccyDG
May 14th, 2018, 07:18 AM
I have been swapping my HDD and SSD into/out of a single drive bay, so they are never plugged in at the same time. Should I still run Boot Repair? I ran it yesterday, to re-install GRUB, and it gave me this link:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/pkXX8N98p7

oldfred
May 14th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Is your BIOS set for AHCI, not IDE nor RAID?
And if so old not to have that setting, it may not work.

I first purchased small SSD for my old BIOS desktop. My XP only booted with IDE and SSD only booted with AHCI. And installing AHCI drivers in XP essentially required a new install. So I retired XP. :)

MaccyDG
May 14th, 2018, 06:51 PM
OK, thanks. No, there are no settings to choose AHCI or any other mode :(. I've already flashed the most up-to-date BIOS (from 2009!).

OK, so are you saying that if I get rid of the XP partition I might have a chance? I could do a vanilla install of Ubuntu on the drive?

oldfred
May 14th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Unless you have AHCI, I do not think you can boot from SSD? System is just too old.
You may be able to configure boot from a flash drive, and have rest of install on SSD?
Not sure if just grub install to MBR of flash drive or full /boot on flash drive would be required. And either may not work.

MaccyDG
May 14th, 2018, 07:00 PM
OK oldfred, thank you so much for your help. I think I'll just buy the fastest IDE drive I can get. Not the end of the world - the laptop is still surprisingly fast for its age (2006), so hopefully has a few more years in it yet :D.

oldfred
May 14th, 2018, 09:29 PM
I have an old 2006 laptop. It had 12.04, but I built new desktop with UEFI & SSD.
I, just to see if it worked, did install 16.04 to it and it seemed to be better than 12.04 was. But compared to my new UEFI/SSD boot systems still pretty slow.

MaccyDG
May 16th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Same here - when I upgraded to 16.04, my computer was faster, even though I was using Unity in 2D mode in 12.04.

Bashing-om
May 16th, 2018, 07:18 PM
MaccyDG; Hello -

I too run on old old hardware - 2007- and when I installed an SSD in this old box I too discovered that AHCI enabled in bios is required.
But AHCI was not known in 2007; after a lot of struggling I did find that in my Phoenix Award bios one can enable raid for the system and disable raid for all drives and whalla ! AHCI is set .
Running now 2 SSDs:

sysop@x1804mini:~$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA Samsung SSD 850 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 149GB 149GB primary ext4 boot
2 149GB 165GB 15.7GB extended
5 149GB 154GB 4719MB logical linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA PNY CS900 120GB (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 8390MB 8389MB primary ext4 boot
2 8390MB 18.9GB 10.5GB primary ext4
3 18.9GB 25.2GB 6291MB primary ext4
4 25.2GB 88.1GB 62.9GB extended
5 25.2GB 56.6GB 31.5GB logical ext4
6 56.6GB 67.1GB 10.5GB logical ext4