PDA

View Full Version : 18.04 Dock/Launcher Missing

donblanco
May 11th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Booted up this morning and surprised to find my dock missing. Checked settings, fiddled with turning on/off the hiding option, changed screen resolution and scaling, etc. Nothing brings it back.

It *is* still there. The only menu option still showing on the desktop is Activities - clicking that, I can see the dock on the left and launch anything I want/need. Keyboard shortcuts all work as well.

I'm just not sure why the dock decided to disappear from the desktop! It's not a critical issue, but it's definitely annoying.

Last thing I installed was Thunderbird, I just can't imagine how/why that would have any relation to this issue. Also, haven't seen any similar issues here in the forum on 18.04. Halp!

kerry_s
May 11th, 2018, 01:41 PM
sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock

donblanco
May 11th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Tried that and nothing installed. Rebooted and everything is fine. Maybe just a glitch?

Frogs Hair
May 11th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Are you using any shell extensions not from the repository ?

donblanco
May 11th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Are you using any shell extensions not from the repository ?

Not that I'm aware of. I've been pretty happy with the default Gnome environment and whatever default WM this is

Frogs Hair
May 11th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Possible solutions here (https://askubuntu.com/questions/56313/how-do-i-reset-gnome-to-the-defaults) , but use with caution.

deadflowr
May 11th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Post the output from this

dconf dump /org/gnome/shell/extensions/dash-to-dock/
It should give us some insight into the current settings.

donblanco
May 12th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Post the output from this

It should give us some insight into the current settings.

[/]
dock-fixed=true
dock-position='LEFT'
dash-max-icon-size=48

deadflowr
May 12th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Weird, I would think it should be more.
What does

cat /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/10_ubuntu-dock.gschema.override
show?
This should give you what the defaults should be.

Also, do you have any extra extensions installed?
Either through software center or from the extensions web site?

rogueranga
May 27th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I have the same issue. I can reproduce it every morning when my PC starts. Its actually my HTPC and it is shutdown everynight remotely, then the power is turned off at the wall. I have the bios set to boot ubuntu when the power is applied to the box. I'm not sure if how it was shutdown or started would make a difference. I do not have any extensions and when i restart it, the dock comes back. Here is the output from the commands:

[/]
dock-fixed=true
dock-position='LEFT'

[org.gnome.shell.extensions.dash-to-dock]
dock-fixed=true
intellihide-mode='ALL_WINDOWS'
icon-size-fixed=true
custom-theme-shrink=true
custom-theme-customize-running-dots=true
running-indicator-style='DOTS'
custom-theme-running-dots-color='#e95420'
custom-theme-running-dots-border-color='#e95420'
extend-height=true
transparency-mode='ADAPTIVE'
scroll-action='switch-workspace'
click-action='previews'
shift-click-action='launch'
middle-click-action='launch'
shift-middle-click-action='minimize'

Ross Gayler
August 15th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Is there any update on this issue?

My 18.04 installation was fine, but recently the dock has started disappearing at some random time in a session. It is still visible on the left if I hit the super key. Otherwise, rebooting gets it back. The fact that this only started happening recently makes me suspect that it's because of something I installed, but I have no idea what.

FWIW here is the output requested above:

ross@doppio:~$ dconf dump /org/gnome/shell/extensions/dash-to-dock/
[/]
dock-fixed=true
dock-position='RIGHT'
dash-max-icon-size=32
ross@doppio:~$ cat /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/10_ubuntu-dock.gschema.override
dock-fixed=true
icon-size-fixed=true
custom-theme-shrink=true
extend-height=true
click-action='previews'

Any suggestions on what to try to diagnose this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ross

yeousunn-fac
September 5th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Same issue here as @Ross
The issue started after I updated ubuntu from 16.04 to 18.04. Every morning when I login to the machine the Dock/Launcher is gone. I can still access it through window button. After restart ubuntu runs normal with the launcher. But next morning its the same.

~$ dconf dump /org/gnome/shell/extensions/dash-to-dock/
[/]
dock-fixed=true
dock-position='BOTTOM'
dash-max-icon-size=20

~$ cat /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/10_ubuntu-dock.gschema.override
dock-fixed=true
icon-size-fixed=true
custom-theme-shrink=true
extend-height=true
click-action='previews'

jeffs7180
September 7th, 2018, 08:13 PM
After a recent update a couple days ago to 18.04.1 LTS I find that the dock will disappear awhile after bootup.
Opening a terminal window using Ctrl+Alt+T and entering the following commands I get:

<No Output Generated>

dock-fixed=true
icon-size-fixed=true
custom-theme-shrink=true
extend-height=true
click-action='previews'

The annoying workaround is to click on "Activities" and then seeing the miniaturized dock. Not sure
what in the recent upgrade caused the dock to start disappearing. Changing dock settings has no effect.
I can get the dock back (For a short time ) only by rebooting. Any thoughts?

horsti88
September 11th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Same Problem here; newly installed 18.04, made updates (and installed Virtualbox SW and Extension Pack), now the dock
is not showing exept for the "activities"-button.

chelmite2
November 2nd, 2018, 07:27 PM
Same problem on 18.10.

PaulW2U
November 3rd, 2018, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure how relevant this bug report is (very little information given by the reporter) but:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock/+bug/1801494

seems to imply that the dock does not appear for some unknown reason. I've asked the reporter for further information.

For what its worth, I don't see this here on either Ubuntu 18.04 or 18.10.

lukas-glowania
November 12th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I tried to work around this issue by installing the underlying 'Dash to dock'-extension and disabled 'Ubuntu dock'. But 'Dash to dock' also disappears in the same way, so i guess the error has something to do with 'Dash to dock'.

lukas-glowania
November 29th, 2018, 10:33 AM
With https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1137/gnome-shell-extension-reloader/ it's very convenient to restart 'Ubuntu Dock'.

delfunc
December 9th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Was seeing the same issue, when messing with Dock settings I discovered the dock showed back up when I switch the position from the left side of the screen to the right. Then found out that it would display on the bottom too, but when I switched it back to left it disappeared again. I have dual monitors and usual just have the dock on the main, but changed it to display on all to experiment. The dock would show up on left, bottom, or right on my 2nd monitor, but only on bottom and right on my main.
Figured it had to be monitor/video interface issue so a reset my main monitor, and used its built in screen re-size and the dock began showing up on the left again. I had previously adjusted the monitor display size to confirm that part of the desktop wasn't just off screen, so it was something in the reset and auto resize that got it behaving correct again.

fr33z0n3r
February 16th, 2019, 05:13 PM
I saw this issue, after messing with my monitor cables. I only have a single monitor. I was trying to get my DVI to work on my AMD RX550 card - which will not display while logged in (but does at bios).

Both cables are currently plugged into the same monitor (diff ports of course) in my attempt to switch from HDMI to DVI-D.
My ubuntu session was active in 18.04.1, and I only replugged the DVI cable and wiggled the HDMI cable.

After I rebooted, things eventually went back to normal. But there were some dark moments in trying to reboot cleanly.

martin30002
June 30th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Same issue here with 19.04 and while I was reading the comments, I remembered that a few weeks ago for testing I switched my monitor cable from HDMI1 output to HDMI2 output on the computer and then back to HDMI1. This could be the reason why the dock disappeared. Maybe there is a second virtual screen on the left.