PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hazard encountered moving back and forth between Xorg and Wayland

bill-wilken-wilkenmail
May 9th, 2018, 06:43 PM
I upgraded to 18.04 from 17.10 with no problems running under Xorg. I decided, however, to check out Wayland under 18.04. Once I determined that Wayland presented some of the same problems under 18.04 as on 17.10, I logged out without rebooting and attempted to log in again under Xorg. The result, BIG CRASH. After many attempts to invoke the Ctrl-Alt-F1 command, I finally was able to get into grub recovery options. Nothing resurrected the system until I rebuilt the kernel with "update-initramfs -k -all -u" and "update-grub" Thanks to the hints at:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/779251/what-to-do-after-failed-to-start-load-kernel-modules

My guess is that this problem can be prevented only by a complete reboot before attempting to switch from Xorg to Wayland and back again.

bill-wilken-wilkenmail
May 10th, 2018, 03:15 PM
On further inspection, I suspect that this crash was caused by my use of a proprietary driver for my Nvidia Quadro K1200 video card. After restoring Ubuntu's generic Xorg driver, reboot problems disappeared.