PDA

View Full Version : my son bought me a computer from indiegogo

kerry_s
May 9th, 2018, 02:48 AM
my son bought a computer for me from indiegogo
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-world-s-most-powerful-pocket-sized-pc/x/17529882#/

what do you think? will it run linux? specs seem decent.
i emailed them to ask if i can run linux but haven't received a reply yet.

cruzer001
May 9th, 2018, 03:13 AM
What specs? Where?

kerry_s
May 9th, 2018, 03:16 AM
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1525119844/u9brhmbl62a1cliyjpqh.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1525107559/ltbatxa019wsnf7slont.jpg

cruzer001
May 9th, 2018, 03:28 AM
Wow
That is impressive

Its got 4core and VTx, guess that means you can run vBox

kerry_s
May 9th, 2018, 03:35 AM
that would be awesome. still waiting for there reply. i hope it don't need any special drivers. i don't even remember how to use windows.
i still have to wait till september 18, that sucks.

cruzer001
May 9th, 2018, 03:42 AM
If it will run VirtualBox don't sweat the drivers, let windows provide the drivers.

Why do you have to wait till September?

kerry_s
May 9th, 2018, 03:46 AM
If it will run VirtualBox don't sweat the drivers, let windows provide the drivers.

Why do you have to wait till September?

that's when it ships according to the email receipt. like i said, not big on windows, i'm hoping i can wipe for a linux only system.

cruzer001
May 9th, 2018, 03:48 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhh

monkeybrain20122
May 9th, 2018, 04:16 AM
If not tell your son to get a refund and give you the cash. I used to have a friend whose mother was like that. If she didn't like the gift he got her she just took it to the store to get a refund and pocket the cash, no sentimental hang ups whatsoever, so he always included the receipt with the gift. :)

P.S I have the feeling that they would say no, vendors have the habit of not wanting you to mess with their products too much and if they say yes, you probably would ask more questions that means more work for them, a flat no is an easy answer. Also the people to whom you sent your query might be just a PR person who doesn't really know. My first real linux laptop was a Samsung, their rep told me it wouldn't work on Linux, but then installed Ubuntu 10.10. Everything worked out of the box. :)

wildmanne39
May 9th, 2018, 04:27 AM
Please use the attachment facility by clicking on the paperclip or use url's for images because apart from bandwidth issues for some, it makes it difficult for those using mobile devices to browse the forum.

kerry_s
May 9th, 2018, 05:14 AM
Please use the attachment facility by clicking on the paperclip or use url's for images because apart from bandwidth issues for some, it makes it difficult for those using mobile devices to browse the forum.

sorry about that i just clicked the insert picture, wasn't thinking. :lolflag:

kerry_s
May 9th, 2018, 09:18 AM
i got there reply back to my email.

A boot manager, Win10 and Android will be pre-installed. Linux can also be added to the boot up menu. Thanks.

looks like i'll just have to try when i get it, but there not saying no. :)

mastablasta
May 9th, 2018, 09:40 AM
my son bought a computer for me from indiegogo

a common misconception. you don't buy things on indiegogo or similar sites. you actually invest in them. and in exchange for investment the send you a piece or more.

difference is they can change specs, they can change certain other things or just use the money and fail to produce the product at all.

since they can change things (e.g. hardware) it could mean that they won't be able to know if it could use linux until production starts. still if more or less standard components are used then it will probably run it.

kerry_s
May 9th, 2018, 09:54 AM
a common misconception. you don't buy things on indiegogo or similar sites. you actually invest in them. and in exchange for investment the send you a piece or more.

difference is they can change specs, they can change certain other things or just use the money and fail to produce the product at all.

since they can change things (e.g. hardware) it could mean that they won't be able to know if it could use linux until production starts. still if more or less standard components are used then it will probably run it.

fingers crossed, i hope it works out.

that's the place where that gpd win started life right. i've seen youtube vids. i usually tend to buy things local. but my boys still in college & he does everything online.
the only online shopping i do is amazon & my tobacco, the stuff i have a hard time getting at a decent price here in hawaii.