PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Create Custom Icons for Folders in Ubuntu 18.04

dswaugh
May 7th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Just upgraded to 18.04 from 17.10, but I've been dealing with a perplexing problem ever since I upgraded from 17.04 to 17.10. All of my custom desktop file folder icons suddenly and inexplicably reverted to generic folder icons, and all of the custom folder icons that I created WITHIN various folders did the same. Tried everything imaginable to re-install all of my custom file icons (both on the desktop and within various folders), but to no avail. I right-click on the folder, click "properties," click the folder icon, navigate to the icon I wish to add, and click "open" on the dialogue box. But nothing changes. Now, I'd read somewhere that this is a Unity-to-Gnome thing (that gnome doesn't support custom desktop or folder icons as Unity did), but I have difficulty fathoming that ANY OS out there today wouldn't give users the ability to customize the look of their folders. Is this really the case? Has that function been taken away in 18.04? If not, is there a simple solution to my problem that I'm overlooking? Help?