PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_budgie] Small Assortment of Issues

pD43WfR
May 6th, 2018, 04:55 AM
Hello there! A few days ago I decided to give Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 a go. So far it's been pretty great, but there's a few things that are really annoying that are bugging me that I'd like to figure out how to deal with

Pressing F12 opens up some kind of terminal from the top of the screen. This is getting annoying as with Steam F12 is the default screenshot button and I prefer it that way. I would like to disable this, but I can't find where to do this. Is this what's referred to as "Quake"? ( If so I appreciate the nod to a classic game :D )
My desktop shortcuts (.desktop files) don't have any custom icons. I can't set custom icons. When I install Steam games, they create desktop shortcuts, and I would like to actually see my game icons. Even when I try to set them manually, nothing happens.
When an application is "not responding" for about 5 seconds Budgie (I believe GNOME does this too) pops up saying "BLABLABLA APPLICATION" is not responding. This happens in particular every single time I launch some games that have an initial loading screen period. Then the game gets minimized because of this dumb popup. How can I extend the timeout period for this popup or disable it entirely?
Whenever I reboot\power on my computer, the default sound output device keeps changing back to what it was before I set it to the output I want it to use. How can I save the default sound output device? This is getting really annoying to deal with all the time.

Here's an Imgur album with screenshots of what I'm referring to above: https://imgur.com/a/khXFiuo

If somebody could please help me with these issues, I'd greatly appreciate it.

kerry_s
May 6th, 2018, 06:23 AM
1. settings->devices->keyboard
2. right click *.desktop file-> properties-> click on the little picture. *.desktop files need to also be executable, so do that on the permissions tab while your in properties. finally click on it & select trust.
3. don't know
4. not sure, maybe pactl?

pD43WfR
May 6th, 2018, 06:38 AM
1. settings->devices->keyboard
2. right click *.desktop file-> properties-> click on the little picture. *.desktop files need to also be executable, so do that on the permissions tab while your in properties. finally click on it & select trust.
3. don't know
4. not sure, maybe pactl?

1: Ah, I didn't realize there were MULTIPLE keyboard shortcuts for it for some reason
2: As I explained, this does not work. I keep trying to set the icon, nothing happens.
3: R.I.P.
4: ...I know most Linux people don't want to hear this, but is there a non-terminal way to do this? This just sounds like such a basic feature that it doesn't make sense for it to not exist.

pD43WfR
May 6th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Sorry to double post, but I forgot to mention this earlier. When right clicking on a file\folder and clicking "Properties" I can only move the "Properties" window and I can't click or move anything in the parent window, or the window I started from.

davidmohammed
May 6th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Sorry to double post, but I forgot to mention this earlier. When right clicking on a file\folder and clicking "Properties" I can only move the "Properties" window and I can't click or move anything in the parent window, or the window I started from.

sounds like you have the option "Attach modal dialogs" ticked in budgie-settings - windows. Suggest untick and reboot.

davidmohammed
May 6th, 2018, 07:31 PM
for point 3 - looks like GNOME have hard-coded this for 5 seconds https://askubuntu.com/questions/412917/how-to-increase-waiting-time-for-non-responding-programs

davidmohammed
May 6th, 2018, 07:35 PM
re point 4 - anything here that helps? https://askubuntu.com/questions/398030/change-default-sound-device

Looks like GNOME doesn't really hand hold you here - so a bit of fiddling behind the scenes is required.