PDA

View Full Version : Beta Azureus: Lowest RAM usage?

jdong
August 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I just hastily replaced my Azureus2.jar with the latest beta build. After about 4 hours of torrenting a Fedora DVD, Memory usage is currently at 88MB. This is lower than KTorrent, bittornado, and bittorrent 3.x/4.x....

Has Azureus finally resolved its memory leaks?

croak77
August 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Use rtorrent. Less memory then all those you listed.

jdong
August 18th, 2006, 11:26 PM
But it's not as shiny, nor is its performance as good ;) (mainly the shiny part)

My point is, the last time I used Azureus, it chewed up all my 1GB RAM after running 2 torrents for 6 hours. This is a major performance. And on a system with 1GB RAM, I'd happily devote 100MB to Azureus.

croak77
August 18th, 2006, 11:42 PM
You'd happily devote 100MB to Azureus? I wouldn't dream of it. Not for something like a torrent client.

jdong
August 19th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty liberal/spoiled with my system resources :)

bionnaki
August 19th, 2006, 01:51 AM
so, you just copy the azureus.jar into the folder?

jdong
August 19th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Well, I replaced my system-wide /usr/share/java/Azureus2.jar with the beta one :)

As I said, reckless :)

reda_ea
August 19th, 2006, 02:05 AM
tribler takes 40M after running all day long ..
(and it's still too much for my 256MB RAM PC :()

Rackerz
August 19th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Linux is lacking torrent apps at the moment. I can use Azureus but only because I have enough RAM.

K.Mandla
August 19th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Use rtorrent. Less memory then all those you listed.
I gotta second that. I was a strong Azureus fan but got so sick of the hog that I finally poked around and found rtorrent. Lightweight, direct and does what it's told. I dig it.

Footissimo
August 19th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Just tried the Azureus beta...and it does seem to make it a lot less hoggy than before..woo! Thanks for the tip!

I would try other BT clients, but being as linbo, I like the shiny stuff and pointless features :mrgreen:

t0maz
August 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM
As I said, reckless :)

I like you already! :o

I think Linux lacks good userfriendly Bittorrent clients. No wait, I just think it lacks uTorrent. :D I like Azureus a lot but it's not without problems. Even though it's kind of cliche I gotta say that a port of uTorrent would solve all Linux bittorrent 'problems'. :-)

But I think KTorrent is on the right track also, I like rtorrent and if gnome-btdownload had some more options it would be a nice simple one too. But Azureus with less resource use if just fine.

jdong
August 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I think ktorrent is most promising as a native, efficient bittorrent client. 2.0 is getting real close, but I just "like" using Azureus more.

G Morgan
August 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM
I like you already! :o

I think Linux lacks good userfriendly Bittorrent clients. No wait, I just think it lacks uTorrent. :D I like Azureus a lot but it's not without problems. Even though it's kind of cliche I gotta say that a port of uTorrent would solve all Linux bittorrent 'problems'. :-)

But I think KTorrent is on the right track also, I like rtorrent and if gnome-btdownload had some more options it would be a nice simple one too. But Azureus with less resource use if just fine.

I'd agree with that. It's a pity uTorrent is proprietry (though gratis) otherwise we could have ported it by now.

metalqga
August 22nd, 2006, 01:00 AM
Actually uTorrent runs flawlessly.(with the help of wine) (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=2760)

jdong
August 27th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Ugh, never mind, spoke too soon, I got Azureus to spike up like crazy again.

Meanwhile, ktorrent 2.0.1 is behaving quite well, and now that it's in Backports, how much more convenient can it get?