PDA

View Full Version : Updating several pc's with latest ubuntu on new HDD's

daitheboot
May 3rd, 2018, 10:43 AM
I am in a computer/Ubuntu club and we have 10 donated laptop pcs that need to be upgraded. We intend fitting extra RAM and new larger HDD's. My question is would there be any issues if the HDD's were all cloned from one good installation? Is it possible to change the name on the laptop after installation. Also would there be any issues if several of the machines tried to connect to the internet through the same router?
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place but I couldn't find anything similar anywhere.

Autodave
May 3rd, 2018, 11:44 AM
Are all the machines the same? If so, you will not have any problems with cloned HDs. If they are different, do a bare install: do not do any "additional drivers" until the HD is in the correct machine.

As far as changing the name, I never had a problem in 16.04 so I would assume that 18.04 will also not be a problem.

You also should not have a problem with connecting through the same router: I have never had that problem.

cmcanulty
May 3rd, 2018, 01:20 PM
One thing you will have to edit is the hostnames, see link below. I guess if you never have them on same network you could have them all with the same hostname.

http://mixeduperic.com/ubuntu/how-to-find-and-change-your-hostname-on-an-ubuntu-system.html