PDA

View Full Version : Install blocked, Need help

sireangelus
May 2nd, 2018, 07:31 AM
Hi, after a series of experiments on an upgraded 18.04 install, i find myself with the need to tell the system that it must NOT try to remove a package. Is there any way to tell the system that this package does not exist or to delete the removal request? Thank you.

dino99
May 2nd, 2018, 01:44 PM
Maybe you're asking to pin a package https://askubuntu.com/questions/663572/how-to-pin-a-ppa-package/663688

sireangelus
May 2nd, 2018, 01:47 PM
Maybe you're asking to pin a package https://askubuntu.com/questions/663572/how-to-pin-a-ppa-package/663688
i'll thank you for your time ,but your answer is completely out of topic.

tinylagarto
May 2nd, 2018, 01:54 PM
What package if we might ask?

QIII
May 2nd, 2018, 04:46 PM
Also, what was the nature of your experiments? Understanding the current state of your machine is critical to our ability to assist.

sireangelus
May 6th, 2018, 08:30 AM
ok, i was experimenting with git zfs, and a series of uninstalls and bad decisions made left me withouth initramfs-tools. So, when linux-image-extras XXXX tries to be removed, it gets stuck beacuse can't find initramfs. Can't install initramfs because first it wants to remove the packages marked for removal. Now, even though this information is completely unecessary since i asked a question as "how do i do this", can someone please help me tell the system to unmark the package for deletion or that the package does not exist in the first place so that there is no need for removal? Thank you.

tinylagarto
May 6th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Not sure about your experiments.
I would try from terminal:

sudo apt update

Post any unusual output here.

It seems to be a problem with the package system and you have to fix this first.

sireangelus
May 8th, 2018, 01:16 PM
thank you for your kind assesment, but i am asking a simple question: i have a package that is marked for removal. I want the system to ignore the existence of that package. How do i do that? I am not trying to diagnose the problem , i just need a functional piece of code, script, series of cli commands to do this. thank you.

sireangelus
May 10th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Up

sireangelus
May 13th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Up

Impavidus
May 13th, 2018, 11:42 AM
It sounds like your system is well messed-up already and without knowing the details I can't say whether this will help to fix it or make matters even worse. But let's try something and you may learn more about the internals of the system. If it doesn't work, you can always try a fresh install.

Why is the package manager trying to remove linux-image-extra-...? Is it marked for removal and currently installed, then marking it for install may work. Just use apt-get install or dselect or synaptic, whatever is installed on your computer. If it is to be removed because of some package conflict, or currently partially installed, that won't work. You'd be hacking your way through the databases used by package management and probably make matters worse. You can use
dpkg -l linux-image*to find the current status of the package.

But the way to solve your problem is probably something completely different. Use
sudo dpkg -i <package.deb> to reinstall initramfs-tools. You may also have to reinstall initramfs-tools-core or initramfs-tools-bin. You may be able to use
apt-get download <package> to get the .deb files. Read the manual pages for more details:
man <tool>dpkg can install and remove packages, disregarding inconsistencies in package management (as long as all tools necessary for the operation are installed), and therefore can be a useful tool to fix package management when it is rather badly broken.

sireangelus
May 23rd, 2018, 08:44 AM
i cannot install anything related to linux-* because i'm missing initramfs-tools, so every time it tries to mess with kernel stuff the script fails. i'll try and do it your way though, your proposal is interesting. Thank you for your help

sireangelus
May 27th, 2018, 08:13 AM
You set me on the right track! you gave me the tools that i needed to solve my problem! Turns out that there was a script into initramfs-tools that tried to do something to a zvol, crashing. Deleting the script and using your instruction to fix the dependencies fixed this problem. Thank you!