PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to turn on "Window List" at the botton panel?

MaximB
April 28th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Hi,
In the earlier Ubuntu releases I had WIndow list at the bottom panel and I loved it,
But now the "Window list" is grayed out,
I've installed the tweak tool.
How can I enable it?

Using Ubuntu 18.04

sevendogsbsd
April 28th, 2018, 01:41 PM
There is a Gnome shell extension for this but I do not know if it works with 18.04. Go to the Ubuntu software app, click on "Add-ons", then scroll all the way to the bottom and choose "Window List". It is official supported by Gnome but again, I am not sure it will work with 18.04. Just click the blue "install" button and it will install. You may have to restart the Gnome shell by "alt+F2" then "r" and enter.

MaximB
April 28th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Thanks,
I've installed 3 "Window List" extensions but all of them had errors and won't start. :(

PaulW2U
April 28th, 2018, 02:41 PM
I've installed 3 "Window List" extensions but all of them had errors and won't start. :(
How are you installing these extensions? From the Ubuntu repositories or from https://extensions.gnome.org/ ?

I'm somewhat confused myself as I have two Ubuntu 18.04 installations which have appear to have been set up differently. I often see errors on one installation but not on the other and those errors seem to relate to how my extensions were initially installed.

Anyway, I do have Ubuntu 18.04, albeit in Vanilla GNOME Desktop mode, with a window list at the foot of the screen.

The extension that you need is called "Window list".

cruzer001
April 28th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Both Gnome and Classic have the bottom panel.

sevendogsbsd
April 28th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Stock Gnome has no panel at the bottom, only Gnome classic. I am talking about vanilla Gnome, not a version some distro has modified.

As for the errors, my only guess is that these extensions are not working with Ubuntu's modified Gnome version. As another poster suggested, you can try classic mode but that doesn't exist on my install of 18.04l. I have no choices when logging in. Could be because I upgraded from a beta - not sure what a fresh install changes if anything.

cruzer001
April 28th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Looks like this is why.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2390332&p=13760566#post13760566