PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 18.04 lts need to change direction of mouse wheel scrolling

drakuel
April 28th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Hi, just installed new Ubuntu 18.04 lts, and i notice that the mouse scrolls in the opposite direction to what I prefer, how do I change it. Have looked in settings and have even installed tweak tools, but can't find anywhere to invert mouse scroll wheel.

PaulW2U
April 28th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Hi, just installed new Ubuntu 18.04 lts, and i notice that the mouse scrolls in the opposite direction to what I prefer, how do I change it. Have looked in settings and have even installed tweak tools, but can't find anywhere to invert mouse scroll wheel.
In Settings | Devices | Mouse & Touchpad you can toggle "Natural Scrolling" on and off. Did you try that? It works for me.

monkeybrain20122
April 28th, 2018, 10:32 PM
you can toggle "Natural Scrolling" on and off. Did you try that? It works for me.

I never understand why it is called "natural scrolling". It is totally unnatural to scroll in the opposite direction. I could be wrong, seems like one of those stupid Apple gimmick that becomes a trend.

fractionaljoe
June 7th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Thanks! That worked for me.

ianp5a
August 12th, 2018, 06:12 PM
I never understand why it is called "natural scrolling". It is totally unnatural to scroll in the opposite direction. I could be wrong, seems like one of those stupid Apple gimmick that becomes a trend.

It is called that because if you push your finger on the mouse wheel or track-pad UP, whats on the screen moves UP. Just like if you had a piece of paper on a table, if you pushed it UP, and it moved DOWN, that would be a very strange experience!

It is a more direct approach as it removes any in-between device such as a scroll bar, or pseudo-viewport. It's just your finger and the content. The same is standard on a tablet or smartphone.

This behaviour is particularly important for people who do visual tasks such as drawing, photography and design. Where you are just as likely to scroll left-right, diagonally and even in a curve. When scrolling reveals more of the content, the user is likely to need to change the scrolling direction during the operation. Thus a curved direction. It is less important for people who just scroll text up and only have simple interactions.

This was not invented by Apple. It was available on the first mouse wheel mice, when they had their own driver with a direction switch. Later Windows added a built in driver, and dumbed it down, removing the switch. Way before Apple even added a wheel to their mice.