View Full Version : Compiz Crashing on GDM after --replace

apanpie
April 27th, 2018, 10:31 PM
Compiz crashes every time in GDM I manually apply changes by:

compiz --replace
What happens:

Title Bars disappear
Window Overlay Glitches after a window is closed
The Top Taskbar (Time, Power/Login Buttons, Date, Applications, Extensions etc.) disappears too.

What I do after:
I just enter into tty mode and restart the GDM service. But then, it's like CompizSettings never applied.

So Compiz currently is completely useless, since if I apply the changes, it crashes instantly.

Some Specs:

NVIDIA binary driver - version 384.111 from Nvidia-384 (proprietary, tested)
GTX 650

Anything else you want you can ask me. Not sure what to provide, since I didn't see anything useful in the System Logs.

UPDATE: - ERRORS
- compizconfig - Error: dlopen: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/compizconfig/backends/libgsettings.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
- compizconfig - Warning: unable to open backend gsettings, falling back to ini
- /bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator: not found - Window Decorator setting from Compiz

1fallen
April 27th, 2018, 10:37 PM
this is also neeed to help you:

lsb_release -a
And some specs on your video card

inxi -G
You may have to install inxi via:

sudo apt install inxi
And one more while we are at it:

echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

apanpie
April 27th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Output:

lsb_release -a && inxi -G && echo $DESKTOP_SESSIONNo LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1600x900@59.98hz, 1920x1080@74.97hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111
gnome

Also, I updated my initial post! Thanks.

UPDATE:
I went to Window-Decorator in Compiz and changed the "Command" attribute from

/usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator
to

compiz-decorator
Then it told me that

metacity was not found
Installed metacity by

sudo apt-get install metacity -y
and then Title Bars appeared. Although the whole system is still glitched, the Title bars in Terminals look ugly ... and I want GTK-WINDOW-DECORATOR, the one I've been using till now and it doesn't find it in Compiz.

1fallen
April 27th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Hmm?
try this it might give me or someone else some clues here:

compiz --debug --replace &
Please use pastebin for the out put found here:https://paste.ubuntu.com
And give us the link from paste bin from that output back here in your thread.

apanpie
April 27th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Here is the debug info from your instruction:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/tb8kgS4MD9/

But I changed it back to "/usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator" in order to debug this.

UPDATE:
Alright, so I'm really confused. I've tried placing as a command in Window-Decorator the GnomeShell.

/usr/bin/gnome-shell
and what it said was

Window manager warning: Display ":1.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.org.gnome.Shell already exists on bus and --replace not specified
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

So, the only Window-Decorator that exists in my system, can't run because it already "exists in the bus"? What is this supposed to mean? I mean I'm first running Metacity on purpose in order for the Gnome-Shell to be removed from the bus, but it still remains on the bus for some reason.

I'm really confused on how this whole thing works. gtk-window-decorator doesn't even exist, I can't run gnome-shell because it's "already on the bus" and metacity not only glitches, but it looks ugly too.

apanpie
April 28th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Do not bother. "Obviously", you can't use Compiz along with Gnome-Shell. You can only use Gnome-Tweak-Tool with it. That's why I couldn't find anything in google about my issue. Although, I saw only one person saying that you can't use Gnome-Shell with Compiz. Learned something today :P