PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What commands do keybindings in GNOME run, if any?

jonathan90
April 25th, 2018, 10:31 PM
How do I figure out what command keybindings execute? When we add a custom shortcut, it asks us for a command that the shortcut should run. Naturally, it seems that the default shortcut should also run some command. For instance, "org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys play" let's you add a shortcut for it, but it doesn't say what it does in the system. I would assume that the configuration for that is stored somewhere in the file system, but I can't seem to figure out where. I can change it from it's default value, XF86AudioPlay, to any other shortcut and it still works, so it seems like the actual action doesn't depend on the XF86AudioPlay key.

kerry_s
April 25th, 2018, 11:15 PM
the media keys as well as other stock are built in.

for apps i usually go to /usr/share/applications, then i right click the app->properties & it shows the command.

jonathan90
April 26th, 2018, 01:05 AM
What do you mean by built in? I can simulate audio play/pause with 'xdotool --key XF86AudioPlay,' and 'XF86AudioPlay' is the default value for the Audio Play keybinding, but I can set it to something else so that the multimedia play/pause key doesn't do anything.

kerry_s
April 26th, 2018, 02:31 AM
What do you mean by built in?

as in created with the program.

yes, xdotool is a program to simulate keyboard strokes.
yes, you can rebind keys

your confusing. in plain words what do you want?

Skaperen
April 26th, 2018, 02:41 AM
i think OP wants to make shortcut keys to things he does not know a filesystem path for, but does know a resource name for, such as "org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys play" (i'm not sure if there needs to be a space in there or not).

kerry_s
April 26th, 2018, 02:52 AM
so icons for keyboard shortcuts?