PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 18.04 will not load non-Ubuntu programs or will load only with difficulty

cigtoxdoc
April 25th, 2018, 02:38 AM
Problems:

Cannot add PDFSudioPro 12 to favorites. Program came from *.deb file. If I launch program from script in /opt/pdfstudio12, icon shows in dock, put I cannot add to favorite, not will it stay in dock if I close it

ALSO, Ubuntu software will not show the program.

Have related problem with konqueror. I can add to favorites, but clicking on icon in dock will not always launch program.

Moreover, I cannot remove duplicate icons from Show Applications page

Are above problems bugs or was 18.04 LTS designed to make it tough for those of us who use programs that apparently we are not supposed to use?

John

sevendogsbsd
April 25th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Since the application was installed outside of the Ubuntu repositories, it will not show in Ubuntu software. Sounds to me like you will need to create a ".desktop" file for the application to show in the applications list. This will not make it show up in Ubuntu software however.

Not a bug, you are installing software outside of Ubuntu's package management system. All distros will have this same behavior. An analogy is side loading an Android app on your phone that doesn't come from Google Play store.

Let me know if you need to know how to create a '.desktop" file or google it - very easy to do.

cigtoxdoc
April 25th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Thank you for your reply. This was not a problem with 16.04. Also, non-Ubuntu applications such as Crossover installed under 16.04 are showing up. Therefore, I view this as a bug.

John

monkeybrain20122
April 25th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Problems:

Cannot add PDFSudioPro 12 to favorites. Program came from *.deb file. If I launch program from script in /opt/pdfstudio12, icon shows in dock, put I cannot add to favorite, not will it stay in dock if I close it

ALSO, Ubuntu software will not show the program.

Have related problem with konqueror. I can add to favorites, but clicking on icon in dock will not always launch program.

Moreover, I cannot remove duplicate icons from Show Applications page

Are above problems bugs or was 18.04 LTS designed to make it tough for those of us who use programs that apparently we are not supposed to use?

John

Because it is gnome shell. It works differently from unity, usually involves more work to do the same thing if can be done at all. So you have to find your app in the dashboard or whatever they call it in gnome, and right click to add to favourite (at least that is the behavior last I tried it)

Not sure about the software center bit, are third party apps supposed to show up in there?

sevendogsbsd
April 25th, 2018, 08:12 PM
So the software runs under both versions and this is an issue of an application icon not showing up? OP: when you say "applications such as Crossover installed under 16.04 are showing up", do you mean with an application icon? Both systems use ".desktop" files which are stored under "/usr/share/applications". Is there a ".desktop" file with an obvious name under "/usr/share/applications" for this PDF app?

cigtoxdoc
April 26th, 2018, 01:31 AM
There is no PDFStudioPro12.desktop file or anything similar. How do I create one?

John

sevendogsbsd
April 26th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Sorry for the late reply, been feeling under the weather. here is an example of my .desktop file for Gnome's default PDF viewer "evince". Change the relevant lines to point to the executable installed by your application, the icon, etc. Save the file (using sudo) to the directory "/usr/share/applications" and the desktop will pick it up automatically, if everything is correct in the file. The file should be named "your application.desktop" --> change the "your application" to whatever your app is named.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Document Viewer
Comment=View multi-page documents
Keywords=pdf;ps;postscript;dvi;xps;djvu;tiff;docum ent;presentation;viewer;
TryExec=evince
Exec=evince %U
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=evince
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Office;Viewer;Graphics;2DGrap hics;VectorGraphics;
MimeType=application/pdf;application/x-bzpdf;application/x-gzpdf;application/x-xzpdf;application/x-ext-pdf;application/postscript;application/x-bzpostscript;appli$
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=evince

Let me know if that works for you.